The mere mention of the word “Netgear” in the router world, is mentioning the holy grail of internet connection technology. Moreover, Netgear is known the world over for having the best, most powerful, innovative, and valued routers among all companies.
For all the router and modem reviews that we conducted so far, Netgear always had a router or modem ranking highly in those reviews. This means that the Netgear routers mainly had exceptional features as compared to a similar router from other brands.
Netgear routers come in different sizes, internet speeds, range, type (traditional router vs mesh systems) among other specifications. Unfortunately, most people do not know how to choose the best Netgear router. In this article, we will ensure that next time you go shopping for a Netgear router, you make an informed choice.
Narrowing it down to the 10 best Netgear routers was not a walk in the park. It involved research, testing, and asking for many customers’ reviews. Tag along to find out what the best Netgear router is.
Table of Content
- 1 Our best Netgear routers for gaming, streaming & other activities top picks
- 2 How does the Netgear Orbi Whole home Wi-Fi System (RBK50) work?
- 2.1 Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000
- 3 How does Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 compare with other routers?
- 3.1 Best WiFi 6 router: Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 Router AX6000
- 3.2 Best for multiple devices: Netgear Nighthawk X4s R7800 Smart WiFi
- 3.3 The Best Mesh Performance: NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK852)
- 3.4 NETGEAR Nighthawk R6700 Smart WiFi Router- AC1750
- 3.5 Best splurge Netgear router: NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Router (RAX200) – AX11000
- 3.6 Best Netgear router under $50: NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router (WNDR3400)
- 3.7 NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart WiFi Router (R8000)
- 3.8 The best Netgear router for gaming: Netgear Nighthawk Pro XR500 AC2600
- 4 Best Netgear routers for gaming, streaming, and other activities buyers guide
- 5 How To Set Up and Install My Netgear or Orbi Router After Enabling the Bridge Mode or Turned The Wi-Fi Off On My ISP Gateway?
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 Netgear Routers FAQs
Our best Netgear routers for gaming, streaming & other activities top picks
|Netgear Router||Best for||Specifications||Check it out|
|Netgear Orbi Whole-home Wi-Fi System (RBK50)||Best Netgear router||Tri-band|
Speed: up to 3000Mbps
Range: Up to 5,000 sq. ft.
Devices: up to 25 devices
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000||Best Netgear router for media||Tri-band |
Speed: Up to 7200Mbps
Range: up to 2500 sq. ft.
Devices: up to 45 devices
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 Router AX6000||Best Wi-Fi 6 router||Dual-band|
Speed: up to 6000Mbps
Range: up to 2500 sq. ft.
Devices: up to 30
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Netgear Nighthawk X4s R7800 Smart WiFi||Best for multiple devices||Dual-band|
Speed: up to 2600Mbps
Devices: up to 45 devices
Range: up to 2500 sq. ft.
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 Mesh System (RBK852)||Best mesh performance||Tri-band|
Speed: up to 6Gbps
Range: up to 5000 sq. ft.
Devices: up to 60 devices
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk R6700 Smart WiFi Router- AC1750||Best router for most homes||Dual-band|
Speed: up to 1750Mbps
Range: up to 1500 sq. ft.
Devices: up to 25 devices
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Router (RAX200) – AX11000||Best Splurge Netgear router||Tri-band|
Speed: up to 10.8Gbps
Devices: up to 40 devices
Range: up to 2500 sq. ft.
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router (WNDR3400)||Best Netgear router under 50 US dollars||Dual-band|
Speed: up to 600Mbps
Devices: Up to 5
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart WiFi Router (R8000)||Best Netgear router for a large home||Tri-band|
Speed: up to 3200Mbps
Devices: up to 50 devices
Range: up to 3500 sq. ft.
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Netgear Nighthawk Pro XR500 AC2600||Best Netgear router for gaming||Dual-band,|
Speed: Up to 2600Mbps,
Devices: Up to 50 devices,
Range: Up to 2500 Sq. ft,
1.7 GHz dual-core processor
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
The Netgear Orbi RBK50 is the epitome of a router. This is because it combines excellent speed, class, coverage, beauty, and a huge number of devices connected to give you a marvel of a device.
The Tri-band Netgear Orbi RBK50 gives you fast internet for a very wide range. The WiFi speeds of 3,000Mbps cover most of the internet plans available in the market today. The device gives you faster connections because of the dedicated 5GHz backhaul channel which leaves the other two bands for communication with your devices.
It is one of the best Netgear routers for a large home because the mesh systems of a router and a satellite can provide excellent internet speeds for up to 5,000 square feet. Moreover, if your house is larger, you can add another satellite to increase the coverage by 2,500 square feet. Thus it is one of the routers recommended for long-range Wi-Fi coverage.
To top it up, this Netgear router tops the list because of the number of devices it can support with high-speed internet. It can provide fast internet to up to 25 devices on Wi-Fi and an additional 3 wired devices per point with the Gigabit Ethernet ports. Each unit also has a USB-A port for your printers and storage devices.
For the safety of your data and your children (parental controls) when they are using the internet, the device has Netgear Armor and a combination of Orbi, the Circle: Smart Family Control app respectively. These parental controls are designed in partnership with Disney.
You can get this router for internet service providers’ plans of up to 500Mbps. This combination will make your home an internet hub.
How does the Netgear Orbi Whole home Wi-Fi System (RBK50) work?
The Netgear Orbi Whole-home Wi-Fi System (RBK50) is a mesh system that offers seamless streaming HD video, high-speed internet access, and gaming without interruption or lag time. It consists of two satellite units placed in the corners of your house, which work together to create a mesh network. The net result is that the unit covers most of your home with WiFi and creates an uplink to the router at your location.
Netgear’s Orbi works with any Internet service provider (ISP), so you don’t have to worry about compatibility issues when it comes to connectivity. It also moves seamlessly among different channels and band sets, so you can be sure that you’ll be able to enjoy uninterrupted HD streaming no matter what type of signal strength your ISP provides. It can handle up to 5,000 square feet with a single router and satellite working on a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz connection
How to setup the Orbi.
Setting up the Orbi is easy. Just follow these three steps:
- Connect the Orbi router to the modem via an Ethernet cable and then plug in the power cable.
- Plug in one of the satellite units the power cable.
- Create an account with Netgear’s website and download the app for your smartphone.
- Connect a computer or other device to any of the ports on each satellite unit (the red, orange, and green ports) and then add that device as a new bridge.
- The system will then connect automatically while using the app or web user interface
How does Netgear Orbi Whole home Wi-Fi System (RBK50) compare with other routers?
The Orbi has a sleek design with a new tri-band router that also includes a 4×4 MIMO antenna system. The two satellites are combined with an amplifier, which improves the wireless range up to 5,000 square feet from the main router.
It’s also worth noting that it’s one of the routers on Amazon that comes with parental controls and is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. If you’re looking for a whole-home Wi-Fi system, then Orbi is certainly worth considering.
What Technology Reviewer likes about Netgear Orbi RBK50
- The sleek and classy design will make it a beautiful addition to your home.
- Netgear RBK50 will give you a fast internet connection for your whole home. The connection is fast even at a long-range.
- The Tri-band technology means that the connection between the router and the satellite does not eat into your bandwidth. This is because of the dedicated backhaul frequency band.
- This router is very easy to set up and manage with the help of the Orbi app.
- Its parental controls are second to none
- The device gives you advanced protection from malware and hackers.
What Technology Reviewer does not like about Netgear Orbi RBK50
- The price of this router is a bit high but it is worth every dollar
- It is a tad complicated to connect some older devices
- It is bigger than some other Mesh systems
If you would like to improve your overall wireless coverage and speed, then a new Wi-Fi system is a great option. The Netgear Orbi Whole-home Wi-Fi System (RBK50) includes two satellite units that work together to create a mesh network covering most of your home.
The product is also easy to install and maintain, with a one-touch installation that takes about 10 minutes. Moreover, it comes with on-screen instructions for first-time users.
Plus, the system includes a signal booster for areas where you currently don’t have coverage. The Orbi also includes a built-in USB port so you can connect external hard drives, printers, or other hardware through the system.
This can help provide seamless streaming HD video, high-speed internet access, and gaming without interruption or lag time. The Orbi has a sleek design, which blends in well with your home’s decor.
For those of us who are suckers for speed and have many devices, this is your router. The router gives some of the fastest Wi-Fi speeds of up to 7200Mbps throughput and can connect up to 45 devices. The eye-popping speeds are enabled by the 60GHz 802.11ad connectivity.
The router also supports the older 802.11ac devices with blazing speeds of up to 1,733Mbps. Supported by a Quad-core 1.7GHz processor, the router can support 4K streaming, gaming, browsing, and connecting other devices seamlessly.
The Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 in addition has Dynamic QoS to prioritize bandwidth to high demanding facilities thus boosting their performance. This thus makes gaming and streaming lag-free
Moreover, the device features MU-MIMO to ensure all devices are connected with minimal interruptions and to increase internet speeds for mobile devices.
This router also features 6 Gigabit Ethernet ports and a 10G SFP+ port. This enables you et powerful connections to your wired devices. The two USB 3.0 ports enable you to connect your storage devices and printers to this highly performing router.
Finally, the device offers Smart Parental Controls and advanced protection for your data. The parental control router configuration can be set up and managed using the Nighthawk app which also enables the filtering of websites.
With all those strengths, this is one of the best Netgear nighthawk routers for gaming, streaming, and other activities.
What are the features of the Nighthawk X10 R9000?
The Nighthawk X10 R9000 is a professional grade high-speed router with 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports and a 1.7 GHZ processor. It offers four LAN ports, supports GameStreaming, and has an impressive 1.7 Gbps Wi-Fi band that can handle heavy streaming or gaming traffic.
In addition to that, the Nighthawk X10 R9000 is capable of handling a lot of wireless clients at once thanks to its quad-stream MU-MIMO support. In comparison, it’s competitor, the Asus RT-AC88U, only has 2×2 MU-MIMO support.
How does Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 compare with other routers?
The Nighthawk X10 R9000 is by far one of the most powerful and versatile routers on the market. It has 10 GbE ports (including 4 LAN ports), supports GameStreaming, and is able to handle heavy traffic on its 1.7 Gbps Wi-Fi band. It is also a very fast router with speeds up to 4.6 Gbps on the 5GHz band.
But that’s not all! The Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 costs less than $350, which makes it an affordable option for gamers or anyone who needs their router to do a lot of work at once.
What we like about Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000
- The Tri-band router gives you blazing internet speeds of up to 7200Mbps
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 can connect up to 45 devices all getting great internet speeds
- The router assures of consistent and reliable connection because it is loaded with advanced technology
- The router has 6 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one 10G SFP+ port for all your wired devices
- This router also has Smart Parental Controls to manage and filter the content your children can access
What we do not like about Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 Router
- The device is a bit pricey even though it is worth every penny
- The 802.11ad routers do not have a good range thus meaning the blazing speeds can be only accessed for a distance of up to 30feet. Other areas will use other standards.
Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 Review: The Ultimate Gaming Router.
The Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 is a fast, powerful, and versatile router. It was not designed to be your new home router; rather, it was designed for the professional gamer in mind. The Nighthawk X10 R9000 is perfect for those who want to game with high frame rates and lag-free gaming. This router has 10 GbE ports (including 6 LAN ports), supports GameStreaming, and is able to handle heavy traffic on its 7.2 Gbps Wi-Fi bandwidth. If you need your home router to handle heavy gaming or streaming, this is a great choice.
Best WiFi 6 router: Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 Router AX6000
The Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 router is a router ahead of our times technologically. This is because it is a Wi-Fi 6 router, the new 802.11ax standard that helps to increase speed, performance, and efficiently supports a range of devices.
One thing you should note is that Wi-Fi 6 routers also support the older router standards such as 802.11ac. This means that even though the devices you have at your house are not Wi-Fi 6 enabled, it supports them using other standards. However, your newer devices will get the best internet the companies can provide.
The Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 gives whole-home coverage by providing fast and reliable internet to a range of up to 2,500 square feet. A combination of the technology thus gives you up to 4.8Gbps and 1.2Gbps for 5GHs band and 2.4GHz band respectively. The advanced technology includes the hawk-like encasing for the 4 powerful antennas.
The device is supported by the following additional advanced technology:
- MU-MIMO ensuring that your 30 devices get fast internet
- 8 simultaneous 160MHz channels
- 64bit 1.8GHz quad-core processor
- WAN port aggregation
These advanced technologies ensure that your connection gets the maximum internet speeds on your Wi-Fi network. This means that guests and relatives can use your Wi-Fi while you get enough bandwidth for gaming or streaming. The router can also handle huge internet plans from your ISP of up to 2Gbps.
The speeds, number of devices and huge processor makes this router one of the best Netgear routers for gaming, 4K streaming, and other online activities.
What we like about Netgear Nighthawk RAX 80 Router
- Netgear Nighthawk RAX 80 has a very classy design
- The internet speeds are fast for any online activity such as 4K streaming, gaming, or connecting several devices
- It has advanced technology to ensure a faster connection to the internet in all your connected devices
- The router Ethernet ports ensure that your wired devices get the best internet available. The router has five Gigabit, one 2G, and two USB 3.0 ports.
- It has Smart Parental controls for the safety of your children online
- This router comes with advanced security features
- It is very easy to set up and manage
What we do not like
- The router is a bit pricey but is worth every penny
- Most devices will not benefit from Wi-Fi 6 technology as yet
- Netgear customer service is not the best
Best for multiple devices: Netgear Nighthawk X4s R7800 Smart WiFi
When you are all excited about gaming and streaming, Netgear has a device for you. The Netgear Nighthawk X4S gives you speed and long-range coverage for all your devices.
This router gives you excellent speeds of up to 800Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1,733Mbps on the 5GHz band. The device also has Dynamic QoS to ensure you can carry out the gaming and 4K streaming without getting any lags.
This device features MU-MIMO technology for a stable and fast connection for all your devices. It supports up to 45 devices with high-speed internet. The technology checks the bandwidth usage per device and directs more of it where it is needed.
The 4 powerful high-gain external antennas coupled with the Beamforming+ technology give you faster connections at a longer- range of up to 2,500 square feet. This will cover your whole home with high-speed Wi-Fi.
Netgear Nighthawk X4S is easy to set up using the Nighthawk app. The app enables you to set up and manage the router within a few minutes.
What Technology Reviewer likes about the Netgear Nighthawk X4S
- The device has a great range of up to 2,500 sq ft
- The device has great Wi-Fi speeds especially on the 5GHz band
- It can connect as many as 45 devices with high-speed internet
- Netgear Nighthawk X4S also features 2 USB 3.0 ports
- The features in this dual-band router come at a good value for the customer
What we do not like about Netgear Nighthawk X4S
- The USB performance is lacking
- It is impossible to install 3rd party Firmware on this router
The Best Mesh Performance: NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK852)
If you are looking for a powerful internet (Wi-Fi and Ethernet) beast for your home, then look no further. Yes, the device is a bit pricey but its performance justifies the price.
This Wi-Fi 6 Tri-band router gives great Wi-Fi speeds, reliability, and range to ensure you never complain again about your internet connection. The Wi-Fi speed of up to 6,000Mbps makes it one of the fastest Netgear routers.
It is armed with 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports in the router and an additional 4 Gigabit ports per satellite to ensure all your wired devices access fast internet.
It has a range of up to 5,000 square feet for the two-point devices. If you want to cover an additional range, you can invest in an additional Mesh satellite for a 2,500 square feet increase. The coverage is supported by Beamforming technology for better coverage at the range. It is, therefore, the best Netgear router for a large house.
The Tri-band technology gives you a dedicated backhaul channel thus leaving the other two bands for your devices. The router will give fast internet to up to 60 devices in your home thus covering the needs of a large family. With MU-MIMO Smart Connect, all these devices can be able to access high-speed internet.
Like any other Netgear router, the Netgear Orbi AX6000 (RBK852) is easy to set up and manage. This is easily done with the use of the Orbi app. The app also enables you to check the speed history of your network.
Finally, the device has the latest security features to protect your family and data from hackers and malware. The features are in addition to the ability to set up the Guest Wi-Fi.
What Technology Reviewer likes about Netgear Orbi AX6000 (RBK852)
- This powerful router can connect up to 60 devices on Wi-Fi and additional devices on the Gigabit Ethernet internet.
- It provides blazing Wi-Fi speeds of up to 6,000Mbps thus ensuring lag-free gaming or 4K streaming
- It comes with excellent security features
- The processor is very fast to enable it to connect to all the devices seamlessly
- The Orbi app makes it very easy to set up and manage
- It works with all the ISPs
- It is one of the best Netgear routers for a large home
What Technology Reviewer does not like about Netgear Orbi AX6000 (RBK852)
- The device is a bit expensive but worth the price
- The performance needs an internet plan of more than 500Mbps to notice any difference
NETGEAR Nighthawk R6700 Smart WiFi Router- AC1750
This device comes tops when checking the best budget router for less than $100. It offers a great range in addition to the number of devices it can support and the speed.
The router which is compatible with the 802.11ac standards delivers Wi-Fi speeds of up to 450Mbps on the 2.4GHz and 1,300Mbps on the 5GHz bands. These fast speeds can be accessed by up to 12 devices simultaneously thus making sure your home devices are all connected.
The dual-core processor and the three high-performance external antennas give this router the hardware to support all those devices with fast internet.
Like most Netgear routers, Netgear Nighthawk R6700 is very easy to set up. It is also very easy to manage using the Nighthawk app.
An additional reason why this router is great for your home is the Parental controls and creating Guest Wi-Fi. The device at its great price ensures that your children are protected from harmful content while also regulating their use of online devices.
Finally, Netgear Nighthawk R6700 is compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa to give you voice commands.
What Technology Reviewer likes about the router
- This router gives a great 802.11ac standard performance.
- The four Gigabit Ethernet ports give you a great connection for the wired devices
- It features Advanced features like Advanced Quality of Service (QoS). QoS helps in Wi-Fi prioritization for your devices thus improving the streaming or gaming experience.
- Netgear R6700 router features Beamforming technology to help in Wi-Fi range and speed. The Airtime Fairness feature also prevents network lags.
- The device also Smart Parental controls
- The backup software helps to backup media files. This is combined with the USB 3.0 ports for external storage devices connections.
What Technology reviewer does not like about Netgear Nighthawk R6700
- This device does not feature the MU-MIMO technology
- For non-Tech savvy people, set up is a bit complex
- The 2.4GHz has weaker speeds
Best splurge Netgear router: NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Router (RAX200) – AX11000
If you want to make sure that you will not be looking for another router for the next 10 years, invest in this router. It has the performance that other routers will take time to beat. These features include mind-boggling Wi-Fi speeds, the long-range, in addition to supporting several devices on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet.
Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX11000) Wi-Fi 6 Router can support Wi-Fi speeds of up to 10.8Gbps. This is by far the fastest speed of all the reviewed devices. These speeds are because of the new Wi-Fi 6 technology.
Moreover, the router can provide fast internet speeds for a range of up to 3,500 square feet. It supports up to 40 devices and a few more on the Ethernet connections.
Additional advanced technologies like MU-MIMO, QoS, 64-bit 8GHz Quad-core processor, beamforming, and amplified antennas ensure the beast-like performance.
Besides, the router has Smart Parental controls for the safety of your kids while online and also to ensure device-free moments when required. Furthermore, you can set up an easy to control Guest Wi-Fi to ensure the guests do not have access to your login details.
If you have a good budget, this router is one of the best Netgear routers for gaming, 4K streaming, or other internet intense online activities.
What do we like in Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX1000) Wi-Fi 6 Router?
- This is a Wi-Fi 6 router. The router thus supports the fastest Wi-Fi speeds of up to 10.8Gbps.
- The tri-band technology with 12 streams ensures a faster connection to many devices.
- Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX11000) has advanced Wireless features to support the speed, range, and devices.
- It has a range of 2,500 square feet which is enough for most homes.
- It is easy to set-up and manage
- This router has futuristic powerful antennas.
What we don’t like in the Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX6000)
- It is an expensive router
- It can only support very few devices with the exceptional performance
Best Netgear router under $50: NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router (WNDR3400)
This router is not the fastest and can’t connect so many devices but is very affordable for its features. For people who want to improve Wi-Fi speeds from the basic ISP modem router combo speeds, you can explore the Netgear N600 router.
The dual-band router delivers up to 600Mbps for your devices. It is therefore recommended for medium to large homes.
The device is also easy to install by using the Netgear Genie home connection manager. This manager is also able to give you control over the network ensuring that the number of devices is regulated.
You can use Netgear N600 to simultaneously connect up to 5 devices with each device getting fast internet. This is in addition to the four devices that can be connected through the fast Ethernet ports (100Mbps).
What we like about the device
- The price for the device is great for its features.
- The Dual-band technology ensures fast connections
- It has fast Ethernet ports for your wired devices
What we do not like
- It does not support Gigabit internet speeds
- This device does not have a good Wi-Fi range
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart WiFi Router (R8000)
When looking for a router that will support 50 devices in addition to a great range of up to 3,500 square feet, then this is your router. This incredible router from Netgear’s Nighthawk line is made to give you the best performance.
The router also gives you great internet speeds of up 3,200Mbps using the 802.11ac standards. Furthermore, the router has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. The Wi-Fi speeds are lesser as compared with the other Wi-Fi 6 speeds in the devices above. It also has a USB 3.0 port to enable connection to storage devices and printers.
The Tri-band router powered by a 1GHZ dual-core processor also has great power amplifiers, advanced Beamforming, and six powerful high-power antennas.
The technology enables this router to support the range and the number of devices. Moreover, this is one of the best routers for penetrating walls with fast Wi-Fi. The Smart Connect technology makes this router intelligently select the best Wi-Fi channel for every connected device.
This elegant router is compatible with Amazon Echo/ Alexa devices. Getting a router that will support many devices with fast internet will enable you to do your online activities without any lags. Due to this, this router is one of the best Netgear routers for a large home for gaming, streaming, and other online activities that have several users.
- This router has great Wi-Fi speeds
- It has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports to ensure your wired devices get fast internet
- The USB 3.0 port gives you a high-speed connection to the storage devices and printers
- The 6 powerful antennas with its accompanying technology enable reliable connection at a range
- Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000) can support up to 50 devices
- It is easy to set up and manage using the mobile app
- It is easy to set up the Guest access
- It has a large footprint
The best Netgear router for gaming: Netgear Nighthawk Pro XR500 AC2600
We are closing out the 10 best Netgear routers with a bang. Our team and other users rate this router very highly, especially for gaming. Netgear created this router having consulted a gamer’s mind, body, and soul. Therefore, for the best Netgear router settings for gaming, check on this router.
Since gaming requires some specific features, this router specializes in them. These features include QoS to help prioritize gaming devices with enough bandwidth for great performance. It also features a gaming dashboard to give you real-time bandwidth use in addition to a gaming VPN for security and privacy when gaming.
Since gaming requires a powerful router, this router has a 1.7GHz processor. The processor enables the router to comfortably handle the traffic that comes with gaming especially HD games.
To give you the router Wi-Fi excellence, Netgear made the router with 4 powerful external antennas, MU-MIMO, and Quad-stream technology. A combination of these technologies enables this router to get Wi-Fi speeds of up to 2.6GHz on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
If you prefer wired devices, the router features 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for maximized speeds. In addition, it has 2 USB 3.0 ports for your storage devices and printers.
What Technology Reviewer likes about Netgear Nighthawk Pro XR500 AC2600
- The router gives you the best configuration for gamers
- It has great performance on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
- Netgear Nighthawk Pro XR500 is easy to set up this router
- It also has a great connection on the Ethernet ports for people who prefer wired connections
What we did not like
- The router does not perform well at a long-range
- It is a bit pricey but worth it for gamers
Best Netgear routers for gaming, streaming, and other activities buyers guide
The 10 routers above were selected after a review of hundreds of Netgear devices. Depending on which type of devices are prominent in your house, you can use the reviews above to get the best router for your home.
However, there are a few common factors you can check in every router to get one that will work for you. You can consider the following:
In our reviews, we checked the routers that give you excellent connection speeds on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet. Different routers have different speeds. Depending on your ISP plan, check the Netgear router that is best suited for the speeds you require in your home.
Good internet speeds allow you to work faster without lags. This way you can accomplish more. For gaming or streaming, poor internet speeds will reduce the user experience.
Different routers give you different ranges for your home. Depending on the size of your home and the obstacles between the location where the router will be placed, you can get the router for you.
A longer range is always better than a shorter range. You can also check the Netgear routers that feature heavily on the best routers for long-range. These routers will cover a large home with high-speed internet.
Number of devices
In our modern homes, the number of internet-enabled devices has been increasing day by day. Therefore it is important to choose a device that can support the number of devices in your home.
While at it additionally, think about the number of devices that you plan to have soon. The best Netgear routers support many devices.
A good router that can support many devices will always be one of the best Netgear routers for gaming, 4K streaming, and other activities.
For us, this should be the last thing to consider when shopping for a router. This is because a router will be used for several years thus any cost will be recovered by spreading the cost over the lifespan of the router.
However, depending on your pocket, you can choose the best Netgear router using the reviews above.
You can also check our picks of the best routers under $200. These routers will ensure that you get value and performance to admire
How To Set Up and Install My Netgear or Orbi Router After Enabling the Bridge Mode or Turned The Wi-Fi Off On My ISP Gateway?
The process of setting up and installing the Netgear Orbi with an enabled bridge or turned off the router is simple and as follows
Set up the ethernet connection
You have to start by setting up the connection by connecting the ethernet cable. You will connect it to the router or gateway. The Orbi router is not complicated, and you can quickly spot the ethernet port.
Power the router
After doing the ethernet connection, you have to power the router. After powering the router, you will see lights that tell you that the router is well connected and functioning. If there is internet flowing, the router lights green.
If there is a serious problem with the hardware, it will reflect on the lights. You can redo the connection to see that everything is working as you expect and then proceed with the other setting.
Locate the login details of the router
You can log in to the router after using the login details. They are located at the back of the router or its bottom. The specific details you will find are the network name of the SSID and the network key, which is the password. If you made previous changes, there is always room to change the username and password once more.
Log into the network connection
You will now proceed to log in to the router’s dashboard using the details. There are two ways of doing this work. You will either use the user’s dashboard or use the mobile app to do the set-up. You will easily connect it to the router using the ethernet cable if you are using a computer.
Once you connect, you will have the computer getting the network name, and then you easily log in. You have to launch the web browser for the computer and then see if the user interface comes. This happens directly if you are using the router for the first time.
What if you do not see the user interface?
If you don’t see the user interface, you have to go to the address bar straight away. You will key in www.routerlogin.net if you are using Netgear. If you are using the Orbi then www.orbilogin.net will take you home faster.
Using the procedure and the details will make it quicker to have the connection ready for the set-up processes.
Login to the setting dashboard
You will notice that the default username is admin, and the password is the word password. These are the same details you will use for logging in, and then you can choose to use one that you want if you wish to change. The new router usually detects automatically and prompts the display.
Both the router and the gateway will behave the same way for the display stage
Select the network layout
After logging in, you will select the help me choose an option. It will then bring the next option that will let the router detect the layout of the network. After choosing the next option, you will notice several questions and options that you will choose to have the guidance and design the router will use.
The questions are specific and guide on how you will use the network display. However, some questions will not matter much. You can always skip them and work with the compulsory ones.
Go to question 3
The actual set-up process works on the third question. You will set up the router on its router mode, which means that the ISP bridge is in bridge mode. It has a simple process that you will follow quickly, as we have shown below.
- Pick the yes radio button. This option directs you to the place that you have to make the various changes.
- Enter the login details of the router. You will key in the same user name and password. If you use a completely new SSID and username, you must redo the whole connection process afresh. You will reconnect all the devices afresh. However, if you feel that it is mandatory to make the change, you can do so.
- Click the next button. After clicking the next button, the router will take a concise time, and you will see a solid green light symbolizing that the process is complete. You can now proceed to connect the various devices for use.
- Now stop the whole process. Other steps come after this, but for this option, they do not apply. You have to ignore them and proceed with the use of the router.
Install the router in AP mode under the third question. The AP mode is usually active if the Wi-Fi is off. It means you cannot use the bridge mode. Below is the guiding process.
- Select the no question for the answer. You will get a new default network that even allows you to connect various devices to it.
- Click the next option that displays the admin settings. You will use the admin account settings available on the display page. You will now enter the admin password, which is new, and also set the security questions.
- Click the next option. This option allows the router to reboot. Once the rebooting process is complete, you will get a congratulatory display.
- Click the next option that now allows the router to update the firmware. It will enable you to get the latest update if there is any available at the moment.
Connect your devices
The connection is ready, and you can now connect your devices. You will click the finish button after you successfully connect the devices. The same SSID and username will work to serve all the connection purposes.
You also have an option to make changes to the username and password. However, you will have all the devices disconnected and then connect them afresh using the new password and username. The best log-in details are easy to remember but complicated for a stranger to guess.
By using the reviews and buying guide, we are sure you are empowered to choose the best Netgear router for your home or office.
Even though there are hundreds if not thousands of Netgear wireless routers in the market today, getting one that will suit your family’s needs has been made easier by these reviews.
Be sure to check on the speed, the number of devices, range, and cost when choosing the best Netgear router.
Besides, some of the best Netgear router modems appear in the list of modem router combos with high performance.
Netgear Routers FAQs
Is Netgear good?
Netgear is a household name when it comes to high-quality internet. They have been at the forefront of innovation for years, developing some great routers that are also on this list as well! The company has many different products like mesh networking systems and powerline adapters which make your home faster than ever before with more reliable connections anywhere inside or outside (literally). Now you can enjoy all these benefits without sacrificing anything – they come complete with new features so even if there was no update available yet Netgear will give users everything needed in one place already made ready.
How long will a Netgear router last?
Netgear routers as seen in other routers last for a long time. However, as a rule of thumb, it is prudent to replace the router after 3 to 5 years. This will ensure that you have the latest technology and the router has not failed yet due to wear and tear.
Is Netgear good for gaming?
Netgear has several exceptional routers. Most of the Netgear routers are excellent for gaming. Netgear routers such as Netgear Nighthawk X10 are exceptional for gaming and streaming since they offer gaming-specific features such as QoS, high-speed internet, Gigabit Ethernet ports, and the ability to change the settings to suit gaming.
What is Netgear armor?
Netgear armor is the latest, most advanced cybersecurity solution to protect not only your network but individual devices as well. This innovative protection level ranks device security and provides peace of mind for every member in your family – no matter how many there are!
Is Netgear armor worth it?
Absolutely Yes. NETGEAR Armor is a multi-layer cybersecurity solution that protects not only your network but individual devices as well. The NETGEAR’s advanced protection system, which includes virus and malware scans for all connected gadgets in addition to firewalls on every device you own turns them into an impenetrable fortress against threats like hackers or spam senders who want access without permission.
What is the most recent Netgear router?
Nighthawk RAXE500 is the latest router from Netgear as announced at the CES 2021. The tri-band router runs on the Wi-Fi 6E technology. This means that the router also broadcasts at the 6GHz band in addition to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands.
Can you use a NETGEAR router without a modem?
Yes, you can use a Netgear router without a modem in two circumstances. First, it can transfer files or stream content between devices on your wireless network with no need for an internet service provider (ISP). However, this type of connection will not allow users access to online activities like browsing websites. Secondly, you can use a Netgear router connected to fiber internet’s ONT box where a modem may not be needed.
Clicking on any of the above links may take you to Amazon.com. We may earn some commission if you buy any of the devices listed above but the cost will still be the same for you.