Currently, most of us cannot survive without fast and reliable Wi-Fi, can you? In most of our professions these days, the internet is a must for us to make a living. Due to this, it is very hard to travel internationally in some areas where you are not sure if you will get reliable internet. Thus, we need the best MiFi device for international travel.
Some of the most traumatizing times are when you have a weak signal, slow internet speeds, and unreliable internet in your hotel. This is mostly experienced while using a public WiFi network during travel for people with an online business. This thus gives you a hard time working or enjoying yourself.
For times like this where fast and reliable internet is needed and you are not sure you will get it, we have a solution for that. You can use an unlocked MiFi device, especially during local or international travel.
Other than using a MiFi device, you can decide to use your smartphone’s hotspot. However, this also has its limitations in that it can only support a number of devices and also is a bit expensive to use the roaming charges for the internet in some countries.
You can also check the best MiFi device in the UK. These devices will help you to get the best Wi-Fi wherever you are in the UK and internationally.
Before we give you the reviews of the best prepaid and post-paid MiFi devices for international travel, let us, first of all, explain what a MiFi device is.
What is a MiFi device?
A MiFi device is a device that helps you to connect your WiFi-enabled devices with the internet on the go! It means the device is a mobile WiFi device.
The device uses mobile WiFi connections making you access the internet on multiple devices. The small MiFi device has a slot for a SIM card and a router. This means that the MiFi uses a cellular connection instead of the normal cable or fiber connection that we get at home.
Depending on the cellular network that you are using, you may get very fast internet speeds when using 5G, 4G, or 3G networks. 5G and 4G networks have almost as fast internet as your broadband connection at home.
Other times, you may also decide to use a travel router. These devices help to improve your security, privacy, and performance when away from home.
The best MiFi devices for international travel top picks
|MiFi Device||Main selling point||Number of devices supported||Battery life||Can be used as Power Bank||Unlocked||Check it out|
|GlocalMe G4 4G LTE MiFi||The best MiFi device for international travel||5||Up to 15 hours||Yes||Yes||Check price|
|Verizon Jetpack||Can use multiple frequencies||15||Up to 20 hours||Yes||Yes for 2G/3G SIMs||Check price|
|GlocalMe G3 Mifi||MiFi device with the biggest battery||5||Up to 15 hours||Yes||Yes||Check price|
|ZTE Velocity 2 MiFi||Best dual-band WiFi technology MiFi||10||Up to 10 hours||Yes||No||Check price|
|Huawei E5785Lh-22c MiFi||Best budget MiFi||10||Up to 12 hours||No||Yes||Check price|
|Netgear Unite Explore AC815S MiFI||Dustproof, shock proof and water-resistant MiFi||15||Up to 22 hours||No||Yes||Check price|
|Keepgo Global Lifetime MiFi||The smallest MiFi in the market||16||Up to 7 hours||No||No||Check price|
|Skyroam Solis WiFi||Best design/ features||5||Up to 16 hours||Yes||No (No SIM)||Check price|
|Novatel MiFi||MiFi that works with most network providers in USA||10||Up to 12 hours||No||Yes||Check price|
|Alcatel Linkzone MiFi||Best MiFi for use on T-Mobile Network||15||Up to 6 hours||No||Yes||Check price|
GlocalMe G4 4G LTE MiFi: Best MiFi device for international travel
This MiFi device was designed specifically for international travel. It eliminates the roaming charges because it does not require the host country’s SIM card for it to work. However, the device comes with a SIM card slot to offer you unlocked internet at the cost of the country you are visiting.
GlocalMe G4 comes with an offer of 1.1GB of data that can be used in any country. You can use international data in over 140 countries on all continents with the provision of fast internet.
After using the initial data, you can load the device on a pay-as-you-go basis. The package selected can be one of the 3 packages that are determined depending on the number of countries you are visiting.
The device offers stable 4G internet speeds which are up to 150Mbps for downloads and 50Mbps for uploads. This enables you to continue with your business or pleasure without lags or buffering.
To ensure that you can use all the family devices during a holiday or business trip, the device can support up to 5 devices. These devices include laptops, smartphones, and kindle among other devices.
The device is supported by a GlocalMe app. The app is able to monitor your data usage and also help you to manage the internet connection. The app is able to track the data usage in detail, purchase data, and connect to personal networks.
To ensure that the charge stays for long, the device comes with a 3900mAh battery. This thus means that you can also use the device as a Power Bank to charge other devices like when you are on a trip.
Therefore, when you get the GlocalMe G4, you are assured that you are getting the best MiFi device for international travel.
- This MiFi device works without requiring a SIM card. However, if needed, the device has 2 SIM card slots that can be used to function as a traditional MiFi.
- You can use this best MiFi device for international travel in over 140 countries across all continents. This gives you peace of mind as you travel to various destinations.
- It comes with a 3900mAh battery that helps the device to retain the charge for longer use of the WiFi and also can be used as a Power Bank.
- The device provides powerful WiFi to up to 5 devices meaning you can live your life in a normal way when traveling internationally.
- It gives you 4G internet speeds internationally which means it can provide WiFi speeds of up to 150Mbps for downloads and 50Mbps for uploads.
- GlocalMe G4 Mifi comes loaded with 1GB initial global data.
- The 5.0’ HD screen is more interactive than most of the other MiFi devices available in the market today.
- GlocalMe G4 comes with additional apps like Google Maps, a translation app, and a currency conversion app. These features are very important when traveling internationally.
- The product because of the fast 4G internet speeds consumes data faster.
- With a long-time use of the GlocalMe device, the battery can get quite hot. This is also experienced in mobile phones when using 4G internet speeds for long.
- Since the device has no casing, you have to take care of the device just the way you take care of a phone to prevent the screen from breaking. This, however, does not mean that the device’s screen breaks up easily with use.
Verizon Jetpack MiFi
Verizon Jetpack is a device that can be used in all corners of the earth to provide fast WiFi speeds wherever you are. The device offers fast 4G LTE WiFi speeds to up to 15 devices to ensure you can use the device to ensure you get a home away from home as you are traveling internationally.
Verizon Jetpack also gives you detailed information on signal strength and battery strength. This ensures that you do not get interruptions as you continue with your activities in that you are sure of the connectivity and longevity of the charge.
This device also provides an easy on-device interface and a simple web-based page for managing the device. This enables you to easily manage the settings of your MiFi device.
You do not require a SIM card, you can activate it at a Verizon retailer. However, you can use the other SIM card slots in case you need to use WiFi from another provider. As a Verizon-activated device, the MiFi uses advanced technology from the provider. This way the device can use multiple frequencies thus improving internet speeds.
Verizon Jetpack is also light as compared to other MiFi devices at 9.6 ounces. This thus makes it easy to carry in your pocket or bag.
Finally, the device has 802.11b/g/n settings, WPA2 encryption, MAC address filtering, and port blocking and forwarding. This device puts in a strong case for being the best MiFi device for international travel.
- The device comes unlocked for use with 2G/3G SIM cards.
- It has a stronger signal than most of the other devices when using it in a stationary place
- It has a 4400 mAh battery which lasts for up to 20 hours. This also means that it can be used as a Power Bank.
- It can be used in up to 200 countries in all corners of the earth.
- It has great interfaces both on the device and on the web. This makes it easy for you to manage the device.
- It gives you the signal strength in decibels. This helps you to know the real situation of the signal than having bars.
- Takes some time before changing cell phone towers when you are traveling thus reducing speeds as you go farther from the tower.
- The Verizon $10 monthly fee is billed even the device service is temporarily suspended.
GlocalMe G3 Mifi
GlocalMe G3 is one of the best MiFi devices for international travel which also comes with an initial 1GB data package for use internationally and 8GB for use in North America. GlocalMe G3 is thus designed to make your international travel easy.
The prepaid MiFi device can also be topped up on a pay-as-you-go basis to ensure that you never run out of data. This offer comes in three packages that can be used depending on the number of countries that you are visiting.
Like the GlocalMe G4, the MiFi device is supported by the GlocalMe app that helps you to easily manage the hotspot. The app can also be used to set up the WiFi coverage in your area.
The device does not need a SIM card for it to function. However, the device also comes with additional slots for SIM cards. This thus can be used to set up the device as a traditional WiFi hotspot.
Moreover, GlocalMe G3 can support up to 5 devices, providing high-speed 4G internet. This assures you WiFi speeds of up to 150Mbps for downloads and 50Mbps uploads. This ensures you can use your devices as if you are at home. It can also be used to charge your phone up to three times to ensure you don’t run out of charge on your other devices.
Comparison between GlocalMe G4 and GlocalMe G3
The GlocalMe G3 MiFi is almost similar to GlocalMe G4 in use but presents with the following differences:
|Property||GlocalMe G4||GlocalMe G3|
|Design||Has a slick slim design||It is thicker in design|
|Screen||More advanced and bigger (5.0’)||Advanced but smaller (4’)|
|Battery||Uses 4000mAh battery||Uses 5350mAh battery|
|CPU||Spreadtrum SC9850k||Qualcomm Quad A7|
What are the pros for GlocalMe G3 MiFi?
- GlocalMe G3 is unlocked and thus can be used as a traditional Wi-Fi hotspot using other SIM cards.
- It can be used to connect up to 5 devices with the internet at 4G speeds
- The device comes with a 5350mAh battery that can be used as a Power Bank.
- The device covers the four corners of the earth with over 140 countries included in the supported regions
- The data is a bit expensive and uses a lot of data because of the 4G speeds.
- There have been several reports of less than average customer service support for the device
ZTE Velocity 2 MiFi
Boasting dual-band WiFi technology, this device offers fast internet as the name Velocity suggests. It has some of the best WiFi speeds of the devices reviewed at up to 600Mbps download speeds.
The device does not come with a SIM card but can easily be registered on the AT&T network. The device will support several technologies to ensure fast internet.
Besides, the MiFi device can connect up to 10 devices with high-speed internet. This will enable you to work with as many devices as possible even as you travel internationally.
For the coverage, this ZTE Velocity 2 MiFi can be used in all corners of the globe with users in over 100 countries. In all these countries, the device is able to provide fast internet while remaining on for a maximum of 10 hours.
This device can serve you for that time because the battery is not as large as in the other devices reviewed. However, even with the smaller battery, the device is able to function as a Power Bank to boost the charge on your smartphone.
The 2.4’ touchscreen gives you the ability to view the happenings in your device and WiFi and also gives you a chance to manage the device. It is quite light and thus you can easily travel with it.
What are the pros for ZTE Velocity 2 MiFi?
- The device is quite light at 4.6 ounces. You can easily carry it in your pocket or travel bag.
- This MiFi device can connect up to 10 devices
- ZTE Velocity 2 MiFi can be used to create a WLAN anywhere
- It offers some of the best MiFi WiFI speeds at up to 600Mbps download speeds
- It offers a dual-band WiFi connection which is 2.4GHz and 5GHZ
- ZTE Velocity 2 MiFi supports setting up of guest WiFi
- There are many complaints of the product overheating and swelling after some time especially if frequently overcharged.
- It might not work with many other SIM cards except AT&T and a few others.
Huawei E5785Lh-22c MiFi
This MiFi device is one of the MiFi coming at a great budget for a 4G MiFi. It offers very fast WiFi speeds of up to 300Mbps for download and 50Mbps for uploads. It is also a device that can be used in any part of the world.
Huawei E5785Lh-22c offers WiFi on 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. Due to this, the device is able to offer internet to up to 10 devices including laptops, mobile phones, kindles, iPads, and tablets among other devices.
It comes with a 3000mAh battery to ensure that you get up to 12 hours of continuous use for WiFi provision. This ensures that you can travel internationally without fear that the device will go off while traveling.
The MiFi device is unlocked meaning that you can use any SIM card in the device. It can be used in almost any country using the fastest and cheapest internet speeds. It also is able to connect to fast public WiFi hotspots to save mobile network fees.
Huawei E5785Lh-22c has a TFT-LCD screen with 2D Barcode to enable ease in checking the MiFi features. These features include operator signal strength, the charge level, and the WiFi status.
The UI of this device is able to support multiple languages enabling you to use the device in any part of the world. This is also supported by the Huawei Link app which enables you to manage the device settings.
- Offers fast WiFi speeds in most parts of the world.
- It has up to 12 hours of assured service
- The price of the device is manageable by most people
- The device is compact and small
- In some devices, the charge might not last for that long especially where the network is a challenge.
Netgear AC815S MiFi
The Netgear AC815S MiFi is a device that offers excellent WiFi speeds but will require a SIM card to function. The SIM card is the micro size SIM card but you will require to use an unlock code available in the box to change the network provider from AT&T.
One of the best things about this device is that it is dustproof, water-resistant, and shockproof. This makes the device excellent for traveling internationally since even if you are rained on or are in a very dusty place the device will perform optimally.
This device is 4G enabled in addition to enhanced backhaul to ensure it roaming is possible globally.
Netgear AC815S MiFi comes with a 4300mAh battery that ensures that the device can last up to 22hours of continuous use. The device can be charged using various charging options making it easy to use and charge.
Even with the big battery, the device cannot be used as a Power Bank. This thus means if the device you are using WiFi on goes off, then you cannot continue using the WiFi.
The device comes with a timer to ensure a guest can use the device for a given time period. In addition, it comes with content filtering (parental controls). This way you can share your connection with other users and children without any fear.
Netgear has known the world over for producing the best internet networking devices such as the best Netgear routers. Netgear AC815S MiFi is, therefore, puts in a strong case to be identified as the best MiFi device for international travel.
What are the advantages of Netgear AC815S MiFi?
- The device comes with a longer-lasting battery life where it can be used continuously for up to 22 hours
- It is dustproof, water-resistant, and shockproof
- Netgear AC815S MiFi can be used to provide WiFi to up to 15 devices
- It has excellent content filtering/ parental controls
- It has a Guest WiFi option with a timer
- The device is set with AT&T settings, you have to change the network provider using an unlock code.
- Can only use a micro size SIM card whereas some people have nano-SIM cards
Keepgo Global Lifetime MiFi
Works in 70 countries where Keepgo has roaming capabilities across all continents. It can also be used in several other countries where the nation’s internet provider SIM card is used but with APN settings configuration.
Keepgo Global Lifetime MiFi has an advantage in that its data does not expire unlike most of the MiFis reviewed above and below. This means that you can even refill the data once a year.
With a 1800mAh battery, the device is one of the devices that keeps the charge for the shortest time among the devices reviewed. However, the device is very small meaning that it can easily be carried as you move. The device also comes with a US and EU power adapter.
The device is able to provide fast WiFi to many devices; up to 15 devices. These devices include laptops, smartphones, tablets, and kindles among other devices.
It is very easy to use. You just press one button and you are connected. This helps to set up WiFi on the go. Also, the device does not require you to install software or an app in order to access WiFi.
Advantages of Keepgo Global Lifetime MiFi
- Keepgo Global Lifetime MiFi data does not expire, unlike other devices. This means that you can even top up once a year.
- The device is able to provide WiFi to up to 15 devices.
- It is easy to use by the use of a push and go button
- Has excellent customer service
- Provides pay-as-you-go internet connection
- It is hard to change the settings when you want to use another SIM card
- It offers 2G internet speeds in some countries like the USA and China or no coverage at all in more than half of the countries
Skyroam Solis X Smartspot MiFi
The Skyroam Solis is a sweet spot that combines fast internet speeds in 130 countries with a remote camera, Power Bank, and integrated smart assistant. That provides you with a powerful pocket-sized device.
This gadget does not require a SIM card to function but has a unique virtual SIM and neither does it need a contract with the network providers. This way the device can provide you with internet access everywhere you go.
Skyroam Solis X Smartspot MiFi, therefore, comes with shareable WiFI and flexible plans. This means you can connect your gadget with up to 10 devices on WiFi. Due to the flexible plans, you can buy data as you go.
The device is armed with a 4700mAh battery which gives you a usable life after charging for up to 16 hours. This means you can use the device the whole day without charging while also using it as a Power Bank or camera.
This 8MP remote camera is app-controlled and offers a 720 HD video. This way the device can be used to focus on things that matter in your life. Taking great family selfies and videos on autofocus.
What are the advantages of Skyroam Solis X Smartspot MiFi?
- The device does not require a SIM card to function but uses a patented virtual SIM.
- Skyroam Solis X Smartspot MiFi can connect up to 10 devices
- The 4700mAh battery can support up to 16 hours of continuous use.
- It can be used as a Power Bank
- It can function in almost every country around the globe where it supports over 120 countries.
- You can get an unlimited global data plan for only $99 per month.
What are the disadvantages of Skyroam Solis X Smartspot MiFi?
- The unlimited internet is capped for some countries where the speed drops with use.
- The signal on the device is a bit weak in some countries.
This is an unlocked MiFi device that works with any GSM network SIM card. The device uses a Micro SIM card in the provision of the internet. This means that the device can be used in several countries. Novatel MiFi can be used in over 100 countries.
The device can support up to 10 devices. This thus means that the device can be used in as many devices as are contained in most households.
To unlock the device you need to search for ‘MiFi liberate unlock advanced”. This will help to unlock the device for use with other GSM providers other than AT&T.
The device comes with a nice 2.8’ color touchscreen to manage the device and connection. The screen also shows the battery level, signal strength, and media share in addition to other features.
Novatel MiFi also has a smaller battery, 2900mAh but it can help to provide continuous service for up to 12 hours. This means that you can use the device for a whole day without the need to charge it.
What are the pros for Novatel MiFi?
- The device can connect up to 10 devices.
- It has a 2.8’ color touchscreen to enable management of the device and service
- The device is unlocked for use with most GSM micro-SIM cards
- It provides up to 12 hours of battery life
- It can be used in over 100 countries
- This device needs some alterations to work with other networks and is thus not unlocked as it is claimed.
- The customer service is wanting
Alcatel Linkzone MiFi
There are two Alcatel Linkzone MiFi devices; one is unlocked and the other one is locked for T-Mobile use only. The unlocked device is designed for use in all four corners of the earth. This is because it uses the Micro size SIM card from any GSM service provider.
Alcatel Linkzone MiFi device provides internet download speeds of up to 150Mbps. This ensures that you get fast internet speeds on up to 15 devices.
The device is small and is also packed with a smaller 1800mAh battery. This means the charge can only last for a period of not more than 6 hours of continuous use. This comes as a disappointment to many.
The device is simple to use, is light, and small for traveling with. It can easily be carried in the pocket. Thus if you want a light device, with a connection to all GSM service providers, then this is your device.
- Alcatel Linkzone MiFi can connect up to 15 devices
- The device can be used in all the corners of the earth as long as you have a GSM SIM card
- It has a standby time period of up to 300 hours.
- This device is simple to use and light to carry
- Alcatel Linkzone MiFi can only be used continuously for up to 6 hours.
- Overcharging has led to many devices overheating or the battery swelling up
What are the benefits of a Mobile hotspot (using a MiFi) device for international travel?
There are several benefits of using a mobile hotspot (MiFi) over using either the public WiFi, hotel WiFi, or using your phone’s hotspot. We will explore some of the benefits of using a MiFi device especially for international travel below:
Using a MiFi device will help reduce roaming charges for international travel
As you travel internationally you will find some countries with crazy roaming charges. These charges are always billed on your phone when you try using the phone as a hotspot. Getting a MiFi with set monthly or prepaid charges will reduce the roaming charges.
Also, it is easy to pay once a month and use the device wherever you go. With many devices having data plans that can support over 100 countries, you are sure that you will be covered wherever you go on the planet.
A mobile hotspot can be used by multiple devices unlike a phone hotspot
As discussed in the reviews above, most of the MiFi devices can provide fast internet to as many as 15 devices. This means that you can connect all your devices without the interruptions that come with a phone hotspot.
The MiFi devices also come with better internet speeds, unlike phone hotspots where the speeds are limited. With the latest technology in 4G service providers, the MiFi devices can provide fast internet to several devices.
In addition, using a mobile hotspot plan means that you will pay less unlike using mobile hotspots. This is because the MiFi devices have dedicated plans that are cheaper than general phone packages.
With a mobile hotspot, you can avoid slow hotel WiFis or phone hotspots
Using a MiFi device helps to use fast internet speeds when compared to jammed hotel WiFi or phone hotspots. This is because the MiFi is dedicated to your devices only as compared to hotel WiFi which is shared by many users.
Also, this may help you to avoid the charged hotel WiFi. In some hotels, the WiFi is charged separately from the standard hotel rates. This means that having your own MiFi will help you to use the internet at no additional hotel costs.
Using your own WiFi can also give you access to sites or apps that are blocked by some hotels. This gives you peace of body and mind knowing that you can access all the materials that you need.
Finally, the hotel Wi-Fi signal may not be good enough in your room in some hotels. This is especially common when a hotel has not invested in a good router. This makes your internet use unbearable if you depend on the hotel WiFi. Using your own MiFi will eliminate this.
Using a mobile hotspot can help you access 4G or 5G internet speeds in 3G devices
It is well known that some devices may not be having 4G capabilities. This includes phones, tablets, and other devices. Connecting them to the MiFi enables them to use the MiFi’s 4G network speeds for faster connection.
It also helps you to download and upload at faster speeds as compared to the 3G network on your devices.
Using a mobile hotspot can help reduce your phone’s battery use
With the continuous use of your phone as a hotspot or to access the internet, the phone uses the battery very fast. This is seen especially in areas with poor network connectivity. Using a MiFi eliminating the search for a network in your phone thus conserving the battery.
Also with frequent use of the phone hotspot or internet, the battery gets spoilt within no time. You will find that the phone can not last for long even after being fully charged. Using the MiFi will enable you to use your phone battery for longer.
You can pick your best network provider when traveling
Using unlocked MiFi enables you to choose the best provider in terms of speed, price, network strength among other factors. This is because you can use any SIM card for the MiFi device. This thus will help to reduce the cost and increase internet speeds.
Also, this will help in situations where your phone is locked to a certain network provider. This way the reaming charges are reduced.
A MiFi can be used to connect to a WiFi-only device
Some devices that are available in the market today can not be used to access the internet in any other way other than using WiFi. These devices include the Galaxy Tab 4 Tablet.
With these devices, the MiFi device will provide you with WiFi which you can use to use the device.
Some MiFi Devices come with SD connectivity
Using a MiFi with SD connectivity can enable you to share the contents of the SD card with devices that do not have SD capabilities. These devices include some laptops, consoles, phones among others.
A MiFi can be used for data and voice unlike the phone hotspot
Most of the phones available in the market today do not support the use of a phone hotspot when you are on a call. However, most MiFi devices support this feature.
What are the tips when buying the best MiFi device for international travel?
There are several tips that we have explored in the reviews of the best MiFi devices for international travel above. These tips will enable you to get the best device for your use.
Some of these tips include:
- Check if your MiFi device has a monthly subscription or has no costs: There are several devices that come at no cost at all to the international traveler. This might mean more charges in the long run if you are a frequent traveler.
- Is the MiFi device locked or unlocked: There are several advantages of choosing an unlocked MiFi device as compared to a locked one. This is because you can choose your best provider and you can also pay for usage whenever you want.
- There are some MiFi devices that do not have a SIM card: These devices use a virtual SIM card for accessing the network all over the world. You need to check if you need a MiFi with a SIM card or not.
- Budget: The several MiFi devices come at different budgets. The budget mostly also determines the product specifications. So you need to check the budget and specifications of the device you are buying.
- Countries that you are planning to visit: Some MiFi devices work in more countries than others. It is always important to check if the device you are getting will give you the internet service you want in all the countries you are visiting.
The best MiFi device for international travel in conclusion
As you plan your international travel, there are several things you need to consider. It may be quite boring to be stuck in another country without good internet at these times.
The best MiFi device for international travel reviews is drafted to give you a guide and features of the several best MiFi available in the market today. The MiFi devices will enable you to enjoy your holiday or business trip abroad.
There are several reasons why you should have a MiFi as you are traveling abroad. These reasons make having a MiFi as you are traveling abroad a necessity.