If you are on a Cox connection, sometimes you may experience slow internet. You need a guide to troubleshoot the challenges with the connection. With our guide today, we will be able to check out the causes for a bad Cox connection and the solutions.
Cox internet is known for excellent prices but slower speeds. As seen on the internet service provider reviews, most of the ISPs do not offer the 10 Mbps internet plan as Cox does.
The budget-friendly low end plans are what makes the ISP the best choice for most people.
However, Cox still has high-speed connections such as 500Mbps or 940 Mbps download speed plans. These plans come at a similar or sometimes higher price as compared to other ISPs.
What are the reasons for picking Cox internet?
There are several reasons for picking Cox internet for your household or office. Depending on the location, it may offer the best plans for your needs. The following are the reasons why you should pick Cox internet:
- Cox offers low-end and budget-friendly plans: Not many ISPs in the US will offer speeds of 10 Mbps. But that what Cox does. Therefore, if you need a connection for basic browsing and internet use, why not pick the budget-friendly service.
- Cox has a variety of plans ranging from low to high: We have discussed the low-end internet plans. However, you can pick up to a 940Mbps plan for your home or office. Therefore, you can choose a plan that will suit your needs and have room for an upgrade.
- There is no contract for plans exceeding 50 Mbps: Most of the ISPs will offer an annual contract for most of their plans. This is not the case for Cox. Cox does not require a contract for plans exceeding 50 Mbps.
There are some disadvantages that come with the Cox internet. In addition to complaints that the Cox internet is so slow, the following are the other cons:
- The Cox high-speed plans (500 Mbps and 940 Mbps) are highly priced as compared to other ISPs.
- The customer service is not so great.
Why is my Cox internet so slow?
Cox internet may be slow due to home network challenges or ISP connection problems. This means that the reasons for poor Cox connection may be because of the gadgets and connections at home or due to challenges from the ISP side.
The following are some of the main reasons as to why your Cox internet is so slow:
1. You have a very slow internet plan for your needs
Cox offers low-end to high-end internet plans. The plan you have chosen will determine your connection speeds. If you have chosen a very low download speed connection, don’t expect it to perform like a gigabit connection.
Therefore, you need to check if your needs exceed your internet plan. If you have multiple devices or would like to enjoy gaming or streaming, then the low-end internet plan will not work for you.
If you think that this is the problem, the solution is to get an ISP plan upgrade or reduce internet usage. I know reducing the number of devices or limiting gaming/ streaming may not work.
Therefore, it is good to get a higher subscription to ensure you continue enjoying the internet connection in your home or office.
2. Network peak hours congestion
If you know that the internet plan is good enough, then the other main cause is Cox peak hours congestion. This happens mostly in the early evenings or over the weekends when everyone is at home.
The peak hours congestion affects most of the major cable and DSL internet providers in the US.
Overutilization of the neighborhood node is very common for cable connections. This is unlike DSL or fiber which do not utilize a neighborhood node.
If you think and prove that the internet speeds are slower at these peak hours, there are a few things you can do:
- Schedule downloads at other times. Huge downloads and other activities requiring a huge bandwidth can be scheduled for late at night or during the day. At these times, there are fewer people on the network.
- Avoid being online at the peak hours: If you have done a check and have noticed a pattern, you can avoid being online at those peak hours. Additionally, you can only be using the internet for basic things at those times.
- Make a complaint to Cox: Even though their customer service is not the best, they still respond to complaints. Therefore, if the peak hours congestion is unbearable report it.
3. Damaged or poor quality data cables
If you are having problems with your internet connection, it is possible that the cables or connectors may be damaged.
Damaged or poor-quality cables may be the cause of a bad Cox connection. This is because damaged cables can prevent the good transmission of the internet from one device to another. Thus the internet can’t work well if cables are damaged.
The main problem is that most people don’t know how to test their internet cables for damage or poor quality. This leads to bad connections and slow internet speeds.
You can easily identify if the cable has been damaged by checking the Ethernet cable ends, they should be intact with no fraying or cuts in them. Also, you need to check the wire jacketing as it should not have any cracks in them. If there are visible damages then you will have to replace the cable immediately before it causes more havoc.
The solution is simple; use the cable tester that comes with this product to ensure that all of your cables are in good condition before connecting them to any device. If they do not pass the test then replace them immediately as they could cause damage or disruption within your network over time.
You will need to contact Cox if your coaxial cable is damaged. This will ensure that there is no packet loss in your connection.
4. Network parasites/ sponges
Poor internet speed is the main problem that most users face when using Cox.
The truth is, your internet connection may be slowing down because someone in your neighborhood has tapped into a cable or connected to an unsecured wireless network. This parasite will slow down everyone’s connection and even cause outages due to increased traffic on the network.
A network parasite can use up to 80% of your bandwidth and cause problems with streaming or gaming.
You will therefore need to closely monitor the devices connected to your Cox internet. You can do this through the user interface dashboard or by switching off all the devices and checking if there is still a connection on your network.
In addition, ensure that you change and use a strong Wi-Fi password for your connection to reduce hacking and network parasites.
5. Your router or devices are infected by malware viruses
Malware can easily consume the whole bandwidth as they look for weaknesses in your system. This means that they can slow the Cox internet completely.
For your Cox network, you can ensure that the devices are not affected by viruses by doing the following:
- Installing a firewall/ antivirus on your network. You can easily set up a firewall on your system to ensure that it is not infected. Additionally, you can also scan and remove all viruses from your computer or router.
- Setting a strong password: One of the easiest ways to get a router infected is by sticking with the manufacturer’s set username and password. Therefore, you can solve this by ensuring you have a strong password for your network.
6. Your router is not positioned optimally for your connections
One of the best ways of boosting the Wi-Fi signal when using Cox is ensuring that the router is well-positioned. If this is the problem, you can try a few solutions:
- Ensure that your Cox modem router is centrally located in your home. However, ensure that it is not surrounded by thick walls.
- You should also not place the gateway in a metallic or wooden cabinet.
- Move closer to the router. If your devices are far from the router, they may experience a slow Cox internet connection. Therefore, you can move the devices nearer the modem router.
- You can also get an excellent Cox Wi-Fi extender to ensure that all your devices have a high-speed connection.
7. Your ISP has connection challenges
Sometimes, the challenges with your internet connection emanate from the ISP. Cox may be experiencing some downtime. Alternatively, the ISP may have challenges with the infrastructure or software.
Thus, with this, you may experience a poor Cox internet connection at home or in the office. Thus, you can contact Cox to report the matter if you have not been notified through the different communication channels.
You can check if these issues are reported on Cox’s social media pages, forums, via text, on the website, and other channels.
8. Your equipment needs a reboot
With frequent uninterrupted use, every device undergoes wear and tear and also gets some moments of weaknesses. This is also true for routers, modem routers, or modems for Cox.
You may need to reboot the devices to get the internet working optimally again. This means you use different methods to restart the devices for the best connection.
Rebooting enables to reduce equipment overheating and also gives the devices time to work better. The process may speed up your Cox connections.
We have listed the main causes of a slow internet connection from Cox. We have also elucidated some of the solutions if your Cox internet is poor.
You can try all these methods to ensure that you get the best connection for your office or home. As you have learned, if you have a slow Cox plan, then you may need to upgrade to enjoy the best connection.