Video conferencing and telephone conversations have replaced face-to-face meetings during the pandemic. Remote communication has become a part of work and everyday life, so many people now need a special headset to communicate online. The audio headset is important for studying or working from home depending on your preference and needs.
Also, you can’t do without a good microphone to make your voice sound clear. It is not necessary to buy a separate microphone, it is enough to use the capabilities of your built-in microphone on your smartphone in combination with a good app. You can find a list of the best applications at apppearl.
As for the headphones – wired or wireless models with a microphone can be suitable for remote learning and work. They transmit sound quality without interfering with the work and do not create discomfort. Let’s consider how to find the right device and what parameters you need to pay attention to when buying.
Advantages and disadvantages of wired and wireless connection
According to the type of connection, there are two types of headsets: wired and wireless.
Models with a wired connection provide stable audio transmission without interference or the need for recharging. The cable protects the signal from noise and allows for better sound transmission to the headphones.
Wireless devices guarantee users comfort and freedom of movement near the devices to which they are connected. You can freely walk away from your computer for 30-90 feet, depending on the built-in Bluetooth module and antenna. And you will not have to tangle in the wires.
The disadvantage of these models is their limited working time. This is because you have to charge the wireless devices after 12-15 hours, and you can not use some headsets. In addition, they do not work well at too great a distance from the sensors.
And if there’s any other nearby transmitting equipment like a microwave, router, or another wireless device, the sound begins to fade and lose quality. The audio headset for studying or working from home can be wired or wireless.
Important headset features
When buying, pay attention to the frequency range, integrated impedance, power and sensitivity of the headset, and battery capacity.
- The frequency range shows the list of audio frequencies that the speakers can reproduce. Standard values range from 20 to 20,000 Hz.
- Resistance (impedance) affects the consumption of electricity, determines the permissible load limit, and shows how powerful the amplifier must be. For cell phones, a headset with a complex impedance of 16 to 32 ohms is suitable. PCs and laptops require devices with at least 120 ohms.
- The allowable input power should be 1-5000 mV, and the more power supplied, the louder the headphones play. If you supply power that is is higher than a certain level, you may damage speaker.
- The sensitivity of the headset shows how loud the microphone can transmit sound. In modern models, its range is from 90 to 120 dB. Vacuum models should not exceed 110 dB, overhead headset – 120 dB, and the full-size should be up to 140 dB. The higher the decibel rating of the device, the less power it will need to operate.
- When choosing additional features, look for models with active noise cancellation – they have external microphones that pick up noise. The earpiece in the antiphase generates a signal, and when these sounds meet, they cancel each other out. Keep in mind that this feature can significantly increase the cost of the device.
- Wireless headsets are powered by a rechargeable battery built into them, and there are two kinds: Li-Ion and Ni-Cd. We consider the first to be more convenient because they have a small weight and are better able to withstand recharging. The greater the battery capacity, the longer the device works. Modern headphones can work autonomously for up to 25-30 hours. In-canal wireless models usually work up to 8-12 hours, since they have small built-in batteries. When choosing a headset you should pay attention to the time of operation without recharging. The less it is, the higher the risk that it will leave you without the possibibility to listen to music or hold negotiations at the most inappropriate moment.
Things to Remember
- When buying an audio headset, consider why you need it: for work at home or in the office, for leisure, or for studying.
- Outside the home or office, a wireless Bluetooth headset with the plug-in or in-canal headphones and a fixed microphone will do. These are compact models that are lightweight and easy to fit in a pocket, do not interfere with the wearing of hats, do not spoil the hair, and do not too attract attention. They do not isolate the user from external sounds, so he can safely move around the streets.
- For a comfortable work process, distance learning, conferences, and streaming choose overhead or full-size models with a moveable microphone. If activities do not require movement, it is better to choose a wired headset with a USB connection. But if freedom of movement is required, it is better to choose a wireless device with a Bluetooth connection. In this case, it is necessary to choose module version 4.2 and higher. This is because they have a longer range, transmit the signal better, and are less power-consuming.
- If you only need the device for your home, you can choose Wi-Fi or radio headsets. They transmit radio waves, and thus provide high-quality sound. Remember that they do not encrypt the signal.
- It is important to investigate the characteristics of the headset as well. The higher the sensitivity, the louder the microphone will transmit sound, but the frequency range is less important because the human ear perceives it between 20 and 20,000 Hz, which corresponds to the standard parameters of most audio devices. In addition, you should pay attention to the function of active noise cancellation, resistance characteristic,s and speaker power. For wireless headsets, battery capacity and type is important criterion.
Additional reading: Back to School: How to Choose Headphones for Studying
Getting an audio headset for studying or working from home is easy when you check the description. You can either get wired or wireless headsets depending on your preference and needs.