When shopping for electronics and home devices these days, one of the main checks we conduct is their connectivity to the Wi-Fi. In my home, a quick spot-check identified over 20 devices needing Wi-Fi and I have a very modest home. Therefore, to support all these devices it is good to explore the best Wi-Fi router for multiple devices.
If your home has laptops, smart TVs, phones, gaming consoles, washing machines, Smart locks, Smart LED lights, Smart sprinklers among other devices, then like me you will require a powerful router that can support many devices.
If therefore you are buying your first router, or are thinking about upgrading your router, you should keep in mind the number of Wi-Fi enabled devices you may potentially own in the near future. You can explore the best overall routers too.
We will give you the best routers for multiple devices while also giving you tips on how to choose the router. This way you can rest assured that you will get the best device to serve you now and into the future.
What is the best wireless router for multiple devices?
The best device for multiple devices as reviewed by Technology Reviewer and other users is Netgear Nighthawk X6 Smart Router. Getting the best router for 20 devices or more will help cover your home devices with high-speed internet.
Getting the best router for connecting multiple devices simultaneously is very important today. However, for your choice, we will review the routers that made the top 7 in our tests as follows:
|Device||Best feature||Number of devices||Range (square feet)||Max Wi-Fi Speeds||BANDS||CHECK IT OUT|
|Amazon Eero Pro 6 Mesh system||Best Mesh router for multiple devices||75||6,000||Gigabit speeds||Tri-band||CHECK IT OUT|
|Netgear Nighthawk X6 Smart||Best router for multiple devices||50||3500||3200 Mbps||Tri-band||CHECK IT OUT|
|Netgear Orbi AX4200 Mesh Modem router combo||Best modem router combo mesh for multiple devices||40||2,500||4,200 Mbps||Tri-band||CHECK IT OUT|
|Asus ROG Capture GT-AX 11000 Router||Fastest Wi-Fi 6 router for multiple devices||30||3500||11000 Mbps||Tri-band||CHECK IT OUT|
|Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX6000) Wi-Fi 6 Router||Best Wi-Fi 6 router for multiple devices||30||3500||6 Gbps||Dual-band||CHECK IT OUT|
|TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000 Router||Best priced Router for multiple devices||30||1500*||6Gbps||Dual-band||CHECK IT OUT|
|Linksys WRT AC3200 Dual-Band router||Best router for options||32||1500*||3.2 Gbps||Dual-band||CHECK IT OUT|
Amazon Eero Pro 6 Mesh System
When looking for the best router for multiple devices, then we have just the router for your home. This router can offer high-speed internet to up to 75 devices simultaneously. This makes it the best router for lots of devices.
The router in addition to connecting multiple devices simultaneously gives an excellent Wi-Fi performance coupled with wide coverage. The 3 piece router will give you a coverage of up to 6,000 square feet. It is one of the recommended routers for thick walls Wi-Fi coverage.
It is, therefore, a Wi-Fi router to get if you want a performance befitting your home. In addition, you can extend the coverage by adding another node.
This router offers fast Wi-Fi gigabit speeds. These speeds enable you to enjoy your time online when gaming, streaming, video conferencing, among others.
Amazon Eero Pro 6 router is Alexa compatible. What the router does best is to use the Zigbee Smart home hub technology to connect other compatible devices with Alexa. The end result is that you don’t have to buy separate smart home hubs for every device.
You will get an easy setup process when you get this router. This is through the eero app which also enables you to easily manage the connection wherever you are.
Amazon Eero Pro 6 Pros
- Excellent Wi-Fi performance
- The router connects to multiple devices simultaneously
- It has a wide coverage
- Has the best Alexa support
- It gives you an easy setup
- The router is aesthetically beautiful
- Its quite pricey
Netgear Nighthawk X6 Smart router (The best router for multiple devices)
When we talk about the best router for multiple devices, Netgear Nighthawk X6 Smart Router is the ultimate winner. This is the best router for 50 devices theoretically, this device will give you what you want.
The device is made with multiple devices in mind, it gives you Wi-Fi speeds of up to 3200 Mbps on the tri-band technology. Therefore you get a device that can be used for gaming, streaming, surfing in addition to connecting other smart devices at home.
In addition to the long-range Wi-Fi coverage of up to 3500 square feet, the Netgear Nighthawk X6 Smart router has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. It also comes with USB ports to connect to storage devices and printers.
With the current advanced technology including Beamforming, Dynamic Qos, Amazon Alexa voice controls, and the six amplified antennas, the device will give you the best internet connection. It also comes with a 1Ghz dual-core processor.
As with all good routers, the Netgear Nighthawk X6 Smart router comes with great parental controls. This makes it easy to regulate how the children are using the Wi-Fi in your house.
In addition, this router will ensure that your devices are protected from malware and hackers. This way your data is protected. The router is also the best wireless router for multiple streaming devices.
Netgear Nighthawk X6 Pros
- This router is the best for multiple devices. It is the best router for 50 devices
- The router is easy to set up and has a mobile app that helps in the management of the device
- Nightgear Nighthawk X6 smart router has tri-band technology for fast internet speeds
- The customer support from Netgear is a bit average and the support is for one year only
Netgear Orbi AX4200 Mesh Modem router combo
Looking for a complete package? Look no further! The Netgear Orbi AX4200 Mesh Modem router combo gives you a combination of a high-performance modem and an equally high-performance router. This Wi-Fi 6 device offers Wi-Fi speeds of up to 4,200Mbps, connection to over 40 devices, and an expandable range of up to 2,500 square feet.
The router combo gives Wi-Fi speeds of up to 4,200Mbps spread as follows: 600 + 1400 + 2400Mbps. Therefore, the router can support ISP plans of up 6Gbps. These speeds can support all the internet intense activities in your home.
The combo has a DOCSIS 3.1 modem which assures you of high-performance. The modem gives you high download speeds of up to 10Gbps and upload speeds of up to 1Gbps. The modem is also backward compatible.
The Wi-Fi 6 router combo gives you a wide coverage of up to 2,500 square feet. To expand the range, you can add another Wi-Fi 6 satellite which adds the range by up to 2,500 square feet. This way, you can cover your whole home with high-speed internet.
This is one of the best routers for multiple devices because it connects up to 40 devices with high-speed internet. Since the router is a Wi-Fi 6 router, it delivers fast speeds to all the connected devices.
The router comes with built-in Netgear Armor security software. The Multi-layer software is able to screen all materials to ensure your data and connected users are safe online.
Finally, the router comes with advanced parental controls to ensure your children use the internet on their devices when needed. You can manage the connections for your children using the app.
- Delivers a fast Wi-Fi performance
- Comes with excellent security
- Saves you modem rental fees
- Has an expandable wide coverage
- Connects multiple devices
- Easy to manage
- Its pricey
Asus ROG Capture GT-AX 11000 Router (Fastest Wi-Fi 6 router for multiple devices)
The Asus ROG Capture GT-AX11000 router is one of the best wireless routers for multiple devices this year. Operating on Wi-Fi 6, the new Wi-Fi technology, the device promises ultra-fast Wi-Fi speeds of up to 11,000 Mbps.
This device is able to cover your whole home since the device can provide stable and reliable Wi-Fi to up to 3,500 square feet. Due to the device having ASUS wrt, it is able to offer control and prioritization in the use of bandwidth.
The device offers excellent coverage for 802.11ac devices as well as the next-generation 802.11ax devices.
With a powerful 1.8GHz Quad-core CPU, you are sure that the device will perform excellently for multiple devices and gaming. For gaming, the Asus ROG Capture GT-AX11000 router has a 2.5G gaming port thus assuring you the best performance.
It has all the current innovative technology for a router to ensure it supports multiple devices and gaming. This technology includes a powerful CPU, Beamforming, MU-MIMO, QoS, and Dynamic frequency selection (DFS) among others.
This device has a compatible Asus AiMesh Wi-Fi system to ensure a fast internet connection at whatever distance from the router.
For non-Wi-Fi enabled devices, this router comes with four 1G Ethernet ports. These ports offer fast wired connections for gaming, streaming, or surfing.
Asus ROG Capture GT-AX11000 router also comes with the AiProtection Pro security for the security of your data. It also has advanced parental controls.
The router is also one of the best wireless routers for multiple streaming devices. The speed helps in several streaming devices.
ASUS ROG Capture GT-AX11000 Pros
- Asus ROG Capture GT-AX11000 router is very easy to install
- The device gives you the fastest Wi-Fi speeds of all the reviewed routers
- This device offers Wi-Fi 6 support for the latest Wi-Fi connections
- The AiMesh support enables a stable and range Wi-Fi provision
- The router comes with gaming specifications to ensure a great gaming experience in addition to multiple devices.
- The device is a high-end router
- This router may drop Wi-Fi after some time according to several reviews from clients which may be solved with firmware updates and changes in settings.
Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX6000) Wi-Fi 6 Router (Best Wi-Fi 6 router for multiple devices)
Netgear has proven time and time again as one of the companies that produce great routers. The second router on this list gives you assured fast Wi-Fi speeds, a long-range, and a big number of devices.
It comes with the latest AX technology that makes it able to deliver Wi-Fi speeds of up to 6Gbps. It also is packed with the newest Wi-Fi innovations such as MU-MIMO (up to 8 users), Qos, 2 2GHz Quad-core processor, Beamforming in addition to amplified antennas.
Therefore, this router comes with excellent features that make it one of the best routers for multiple devices in 2020.
For wired devices, Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX6000) Wi-Fi 6 router has four 1G Ethernet ports for a fast connection. This enables you to use wired connections at a fast speed for game consoles among other devices.
This device also comes with Smart parental controls to ensure your devices can only access the sites that are safe for the users. In addition, it enables safe Guest Wi-Fi access.
The router is also one of the best wireless routers for multiple streaming devices. This is because Wi-Fi 6 is made with several devices and intensive use in mind.
Netgear Nighthawk AX12 Pros
- Netgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX6000) Wi-Fi 6 router gives you fast Wi-Fi speeds of up to 6Gbps
- The device offers Wi-Fi 6 internet speeds which offer 4 times more capacity
- It can support Wi-Fi for up to 30 devices.
- It is easy to set up using the Nighthawk app
- The antennas of Nightgear Nighthawk AX12 (AX6000) Wi-Fi 6 router are futuristic
- The customer support for Netgear is a bit average and the support is for one year only
- The 5GHz band does not have a good range
TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000 Router (Best priced Router for multiple devices)
The TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000 Router is the new generation AX WiFi 6 device that comes with MU-MIMO, Dual-band, and QoS to ensure the multiple users can access fast internet speeds of up to 6Gbps.
In addition, it has eight(8) 1G Ethernet ports for all your wired devices. It also comes with 2 USB (type A and type C) ports. This will enable you to make sure all your devices are connected since it can also connect up to 30 devices with Wi-Fi.
When comparing with the other Wi-Fi 6 devices, the TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000 Router is more fairly priced. This means that you can access all the benefits that come with Wi-Fi 6 at a better price than most.
The device is also able to offer Wi-Fi to a relatively large home while also offering great speeds. This is because it has 8 high-gain antennas in addition to the Rangeboost and Beamforming technology.
This device is a Dual-band router unlike the other routers reviewed which are Tri-band. This gives you two band options to connect your devices to WiFi. It has MU-MIMO technology to ensure the connection is prioritized for several devices.
One of the best things about the TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000 Router is the easy setup using Bluetooth and the tether app. This ensures you can set up this device within a few minutes.
Like other reviewed devices above, it also comes with parental controls, Guest Wi-Fi, and Alexa voice control. This makes it easy for you to manage the internet connections flowing through your router.
The device also comes with a powerful antivirus to protect your data from viruses and malware. It is, therefore, one of the best wireless routers for multiple devices and gaming.
TP-Link AX6000 Pros
- This device offers some of the fastest Wi-Fi 6 speeds of up to 6Gbps.
- TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000 Router is cheaper than most Wi-Fi 6 routers
- The router has 8 Gigabit Ethernet ports to connect all your wired devices which it the best wireless router for multiple streaming devices using LAN cables
- Very easy setup using the Tether app via Bluetooth.
- The company has a responsive customer service
- As compared to some of the devices reviewed above, it is a Dual-band technology router.
- The device may reboot once or twice a day after using it for some time.
Linksys WRT AC3200 Dual-Band router (Best router for options)
The Linksys WRT AC3200 Router is a great device for multiple users. It gives you the benefit of being an open-source firmware Wi-Fi router thus giving you more room for customization.
The device is a Dual-band technology router which gives it speeds of up to 3.2 Gbps. This top speed ensures that you can carry out your online activities without lags and buffering.
In addition, the device has MU-MIMO technology and Tri-stream 160 helps to make sure that the multiple devices that you are using all get connected to fast Wi-Fi speeds. The Dynamic frequency selection enables the devices to get clear airspace.
It also comes with four(4) 1G Ethernet ports for your wired devices. It also comes with a USB 3.0 port.
Like most of the other modern routers, the Linksys WRT AC3200 Router comes with parental controls to ensure you regulate what your children are engaged in online.
Linksys WRT AC3200 Pros
- The Wi-Fi router gives you an open-source firmware to give you control over your internet. This way you can also easily set up a secure VPN.
- You can use the Smart Wi-Fi app to maintain control and also to monitor your network remotely
- It gives you great service on the Dual-band technology
- It is a Dual-band technology router
- Due to the open-source firmware, it may require rebooting once in a while to get it working
What features make a device good for multiple devices?
The best routers for multiple devices all have some similarities. They can be identified by following the following features that make them good for homes or offices where we have several streamers, gamers, and people downloading stuff from the internet.
The best router for 20 devices or more should have some features to support the number of devices. The features that should be considered when choosing a good router for multiple devices include:
- The number of bands: Routers that can comfortably support many devices should have dual-band or tri-band technology. This way the devices are put in the band that offers fast and reliable Wi-Fi wherever you are in your home.
- CPU: Routers with more powerful CPUs tend to support more devices. This is because they can be able to sort information flowing to and from several devices at once. Routers with less powerful CPUs may not be able to perform that.
- RAM: Routers with a bigger RAM are able to support more devices as compared with the ones with smaller RAMs. The best routers for multiple devices and gaming must have a big enough RAM to accommodate the demands of the router.
- MU-MIMO (Multi User- Multiple In Multiple Out): This is the feature that gives your Wi-Fi router the ability to use the MIMO technology simultaneously. The technology enables your devices to access fast Wi-Fi speeds. It is because it improves connections and speeds up data throughput.
- Quality of service (QoS): The QoS helps when your networks start getting congested and give priority to where more traffic is needed as compared to others. For example, QoS will prioritize streaming or voice calls over other activities like downloads. This feature may also be referred to as Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM).
Other tips on what is the best wireless router for multiple devices
When you feel like you have so many devices that require both Wi-Fi and wired connections, you can consider setting up a second router or access point. This will enable your devices to share the workload. Adding the second router, however, may make your network harder to manage.
For the wireless connections to give faster connections, you may think of increasing your bandwidth from your internet service provider. This is because the more devices you have sharing the same bandwidth, the slower the internet speeds will be.
If you want to cover your whole home with a Wi-Fi connection, you can consider getting a router Mesh network. This makes it easy to place the different satellites in different corners of your home for faster internet.
In some homes, you may consider a Wi-Fi extender if you need to get more range of Wi-Fi coverage. The extender, however, reduces the strength of the network except for tri-band extenders.
To get an excellent Wi-Fi connection for multiple devices, get a device that is able to send and receive lots of data at the same time. This means getting a router with a big RAM and CPU to enable the process to happen.
To wrap it up
With the current increase in smart/ Wi-Fi enabled devices in our homes and also the need to control what the different users are accessing, we need to explore ‘what is the best wireless router for multiple devices?’ Some homes also require the best router for 50 devices due to the high number of smart devices.
The best wireless router for multiple devices must be able to accommodate the number of devices you are having or you aspire to have in the near future. This makes this list very necessary to consider.
Clicking on any of the above links may take you to Amazon.com. We may earn some commission if you buy any of the devices listed above but the cost will still be the same for you.