We have seen a marked increase in the number of smart devices in our homes and office. Everyday companies are producing Wi-Fi-enabled important devices. What is the use of these devices if we do not have a good internet connection? Internet connection at home does not have to be very expensive because we have the “best Wi-Fi router under 100 Dollars“.
A good router is able to give you the following:
- Reliable internet connection through both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection. Consider the internet speed that is supported by your ISP plan (subscription tier).
- A wide Wi-Fi coverage
- Wi-Fi connection for a number of devices
- Safety of your information and young users
These among other reasons will be used in evaluating the routers to give you the router that will never disappoint you. We will, therefore, in-depth check the best cheap Wi-Fi routers under 100 Dollars as follows.
Our best routers under $100 top picks
|Router||Best router for||Specs||Check it now|
|Netgear R6700 Nighthawk AC1750||Best wireless router for under 100 USD||Dual band|
Speed: up to (600+1300)Mbps
Devices: 25 devices
range: up to 1500 sq ft
|CHECK IT OUT|
|TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router||Best budget router for gaming under $100||Dual-band|
Speed: Up to (600+1300)Mbps
Devices: up to 64 devices
range: up to 2000 sq ft
|CHECK IT OUT|
|D-Link WiFi Router AC1900 (DIR-1950)||Efficient budget home router||Dual-band|
Speed: Up to (1300+600)Mbps,
|CHECK IT OUT|
|ASUS Dual-Band AC1700 Router (RT-ACRH17)||Router with easy set up and user friendly interface||Dual-band|
Speed: up to (1300+400)Mbps
|CHECK IT OUT|
|Linksys AC1900 Wi-Fi (EA6900) Router||Elegantly designed budget router||Dual-band|
Speed: up to (600+1300)Mbps
|CHECK IT OUT|
|Google WiFi Router by TP-Link||Best budget for reliable high-speed internet router under 100$||Dual-band|
Speed: up to 1900Mbps
|CHECK IT OUT|
|Netgear AC 1200 (R6230)||Best budget router with a good range under $100||Dual-band|
Speed: up to (300+900)Mbps
Devices: up to 20 devices
Range: up to 1200 sq. ft.
|CHECK IT OUT|
|Motorola AC2600 (MR2600)||Good router for big houses under $100||Dual-band|
Speed: Up to 2600Mbps
|CHECK IT OUT|
|Medialink AC1200||Solid router for small budget||Dual-band|
Speed: up to (300+867)Mbps
Range: up to 2000sq. ft.
Devices : up to 20 devices
|CHECK IT OUT|
|WAVLINK Halo Base 2 Whole Home Mesh Wireless||Best Mesh with great specs under 100 USD||Dual-band|
Speed: Up to (300+900)Mbps
Range: up to 3000 sq ft.
|CHECK IT OUT|
10 best routers under 100 US Dollars you can buy in 2020
Netgear is one of the biggest and best brands of devices for networking. From high-end devices to medium range devices, they are known for producing devices that work. They produced the best Wi-Fi router for under 100 US dollars.
This device has a great range and coverage in addition to having fast internet. With a range of up to 1500 square feet supported by a 1GHz dual-core processor
The dual-band router device is one of the best at a budget. Netgear R6700 router gives you top Wi-Fi speed throughput of up to 1750Mbps (1300Mbps on 5GHz and 450Mbps on 2.4GHz). It can also support 25 devices thus ensuring all the devices at home are covered with high-speed Wi-Fi.
The router has the Circle app to help you to manage the parental controls. In addition to advanced network security features, this router has a trial Netgear Armor Cyber-threat protection which protects your devices from malware.
What the Technology Reviewer likes:
- The device has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for your wired devices
- Advanced Quality of Service (QoS) to ensure prioritization of your devices with high-speed Wi-Fi thus helping in streaming or gaming.
- Netgear R6700 router has Beamforming technology that helps to improve the internet speeds and Wi-Fi range.
- Smart Parental controls enable you to decide when your children’s devices can be used and what can be accessed.
- It has an Airtime Fairness feature that prevents network lags.
- The USB 3.0 ports help to connect the storage devices and printers
- It comes with free backup software for the media files. This safeguards your work.
What Technology reviewer does not like
- It does not have the MU-MIMO technology.
- It is a bit complex for non-technologically savvy people to set up.
TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router: Best gaming router under 100$
This router is the best wireless router under 100 US Dollars for gaming and other functions in the house. The router excels in most of the reviewed areas.
The router is a dual-band router that combines other modern router technologies to give you a performance to behold. TP-Link AC1900 has some of the highest internet speeds for routers going for under 100 USD at 1900Mbps throughput. That is 600Mbps on 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps on 5GHz.
TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router also is a MU-MIMO Gigabit router to ensure your devices get maximum WiFi speeds for their functions to be optimum.
The Beamforming technology makes this router smarter which when added to the 1GHz dual-core processor makes this router very powerful.
The device also has extensive security, parental controls and can set up guest WiFi to ensure the protection of your data and children.
What did Technology Reviewer like about TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router?
- The Speed: TP-Link AC1900 can give you Wi-Fi speed of up to 1900Mbps throughput.
- MU-MIMO technology helps to ensure all devices in your house are connected and get fast internet.
- The Beamforming technology gives you a stronger and reliable Wi-Fi connection for your home or office
- The router is easy to set up and manage using the Tp-Link Tether app.
- TP-Link AC1900 has great parental controls and enables you to set up guest WiFi for the security of your data and children
What Technology Reviewer did not like about TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
- WPA2-AES security reduces internet speed if you don’t update the firmware soon after buying it
This router is one of the best Wi-Fi routers for under 100 US dollars. It is a reliable and powerful router for your home or office. The router excels in combining high-speed 802.11ac Wi-Fi with dual-band technology. It also has Gigabit Ethernet ports in addition to the 1900 Mbps Wi-Fi throughput.
To ensure that your preferred devices have enough bandwidth, the router has a built-in Quality of Service (QoS) to direct the bandwidth where it is needed most.
Because of these specifications, the router is one of the best for modern homes. It can give fast internet to multiple devices either on Wi-Fi or through the Ethernet ports.
Furthermore, the device has a 3×3 MU-MIMO antenna configuration, fewer dead spots, and the current technology to give you the reliability and performance you deserve.
The D-Link WiFi AC1900 Router has advanced security features. These features enable you to access the internet without worrying about your data security. These include a built-in firewall, access control, WPA/WPA2 wireless security or use Wi-FI protected setup (WPS).
The router is easy to set-up using a web browser. The steps for the set up are provided in the router menu.
What Technology Reviewer like about D-Link Wifi AC1900
- The router is very easy to set up
- This router is affordable for the features
- It has 4 Gigabit ports for your wired devices
- It has the 3X3 MU-MIMO, QoS, and Smart Beamforming to ensure your devices get the best connection.
- The Wi-Fi speeds of up to 1900 throughput is one of the highest for routers under 100 USD.
- It works with Google Assistant and Alexa-Voice control
What Technology reviewer did not like about D-Link WiFi AC1900
- The USB device takes a long time to recognize devices like hard drives for storage
- The new Web interface appears unusual to clients who had been used to the previous routers.
This router is known for its easy setup, management, and user-friendliness. It is also a powerful performer since it is a dual-band router with current technologies.
The dual-band router is able to achieve maximum and consistent Wi-Fi speeds of 1700Mbps throughput. The speeds are enabled by the current wireless standard (802.11ac) MU-MIMO technology in addition to the quad-core processor.
To ensure that all your wired devices are connected, Asus AC1700 has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. These give you excellent speeds for gaming, streaming, and other activities on your wired devices. It also has a USB 3.0 port for storage devices and printers.
The WiFi range for Asus AC1700 is boosted by AiRadar Beamforming technology. This enables the 4 powerful antennas to give you wide-area Wi-Fi coverage.
To set up the device, the router has the Asus router app. The app also enables you to manage the network including setting up parental controls.
What Technology Reviewer likes about Asus AC1700 Dual-band Router (RT-ACRH17)
- It is easy to set up on the phone, computer, or tablet
- The MU-MIMO technology helps to manage heavy traffic seamlessly
- This router has advanced control features on its app and online interface.
- It gives you excellent parental controls and guest access
- Asus AC1700 gives you a consistent performance on speeds, number of devices, and coverage
What Technology Reviewer did not like about Asus AC1700 Dual-band Router (RT-ACRH17)
- The firmware update in most devices makes the router to change some settings thus losing connections more. Streaming and gaming are thus affected.
- ASUS technology support is not the best
- The router overheats often when many devices are using the router causing the internet to drop
This router is known for its elegant design coupled with a powerful performance. For people looking for a designer look in a router, this router has an impressive look and smaller in size than most comparable routers.
Linksys AC1900 router gives you very high speeds of 1900 Mbps for its price. These speeds are 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band. This means that this best dual-band router under $100 will support your devices with high-speed WiFi.
The router is also loaded with all the current technologies like Beamforming, powerful adjustable antennas, and an 800MHz dual-core processor for connection of your devices with fast internet everywhere in your home.
Linksys Smart WiFi enables an easy setup and management of the router. This also gives you parental controls in addition to remote management of your network.
Furthermore, it has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for your wired devices. These are in addition to the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports that enable you to connect to your storage devices and share your medial files.
This router additionally, keeps your network secure with WPA/WPA2 encryption and an SPI firewall. Of course, it gives you an option to set up guest access.
What did we like about Linksys AC1900 router (EA6900)?
- The router is elegantly designed
- Linksys AC1900 router is easy to set up
- It gives you fast internet speeds
- The Linksys Smart WiFi gives you control over your router anytime everywhere
- It offers a very secure connection
What we did not like about Linksys AC1900 router (EA6900)
- The router does not provide for advanced network customization like blocking some ports
- The firmware for this router is not the best
This router is worth a lot more than its price. The OnHub router is the best for ensuring your connection is fast and on the least crowded Wi-Fi channel. The best-designed router for under 100 USD also comes with exceptional features.
The router gives you maximum speeds of 1900Mbps but what makes it tick is the reliable fast connection. It searches every 5 minutes for the least crowded Wi-Fi channel and connects your devices to it.
The router has 13 high-powered antennas for connections in all directions on your home. These antennas are positioned innovatively in a circular design on your router to achieve connections in all corners of your house.
To give you the best connection, the device is controlled by the Google WiFi app to ensure a faster set up and management. It also gives you solutions to your network problems in a language you can understand.
It also auto-updates with the latest features and security settings to ensure your information is protected.
What Technology Reviewer likes about Google WiFi router by TP-Link
- The antennas are placed all around the router to ensure connection all around your home
- Design: You can place the router anywhere in your house with its round design
- It offers fast and reliable internet due to prioritization of your favorite devices after quick network scans
- It auto-updates the router software and security designs to ensure you are protected
- The Google WiFi app enables easy setup and management of the router
What Technology Reviewer did not like about Google WiFi router by TP-Link
- It has a problem connecting Apple products because of the prioritization of the band. Apple products are made to prefer the 5Hz band.
- Google WiFi Router by TP-Link has only one Ethernet port thus can not support many wired devices.
Netgear AC 1200 (R6230) Router: Best router for under 100 USD for modest homes
The Netgear AC1200 R6120 is one of the cheapest yet effective Netgear routers in the market today. With Netgear being one of the world-leading brands for routers and other network devices you are sure the device will not disappoint.
The router boosts the Wi-Fi network to your whole home while delivering speeds of up to 300 for the 2.4 GHz and 900Mbps for the 5GHz networks. These speeds help to get excellent speeds for gaming, streaming, and connecting demanding devices.
What makes the device to stand out other than the price and brand, is the prioritization of WiFi bandwidth to devices that need it more. This especially works for gaming and streaming.
To top it up, the Netgear AC1200 has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for your wired devices. It also has a USB 2.0 port for storage devices and printers. It also allows for the guest network set up.
Setting up the router and managing it can easily be done using the Nighthawk app. The easy set-up and the accompanying excellent features make this device the best router for under 100$ for easy set up.
What we like
- The router is easy to set up and configure
- It has a good range for its price
- This router has 4 fast Ethernet ports and a ready share USB access port
- It is able to prioritize bandwidth according to device usage
- The maximum speed of up to 1200Mbps
- Netgear AC1200 has a friendly user interface
What we did not like
- The router gets frequent firmware updates some of which come with flaws
- From several reviews, some users find it to be a bit unreliable
Motorola AC2600 (MR2600): Best range router under 100 Dollars
If you want some good speeds and a huge range, this is your router. The Motorola AC2600 (MR2600) device gives you a maximum speed of 800Mbps for the 2.4GHz and 1733Mbps for the 5GHz bands. This is more than any other router reviewed for under 100 US dollars.
The router also has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports to ensure that your wired devices get the fastest internet. This means you can use Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection for gaming, streaming, and connecting other demanding devices.
The 4 powerful adjustable antennas available in this magnificent device ensures that you can get the WiFi at the range. It is MU-MIMO technology-enabled to speed up connections in multiple devices in your house.
The device also has Beamforming technology to ensure that each of your devices gets fast internet even at range. Finally, it also has Smart QoS, a Dual-core processor, and extensive security features for safe access to fast internet by several devices in your home.
What Technology Reviewer likes about Motorola AC2600 Router
- The dual-band router has blazing speeds for its price range (up to 2600Mbps throughput)
- Motorola AC2600 has a user-friendly interface
- The safety of your information is well taken care of by this router
- It is easy to set up
- The router has Smart QoS for gaming and streaming
- This router is available at a very good price for its magnificent features
What Technology reviewer did not like about Motorola AC2600 Router
- It is a bit difficult to change the login details for the router
- The router has very limited settings and configuration
- Motorola AC2600 router does not offer auto-firmware updates meaning that you have to search and install the updates via a wired connection
Medialink AC1200 Router: Best router for under 100 USD for a small home
For those of us with small homes and a small budget, this should be your router of choice. The dual-band router gives you WiFi speeds of up to 1200Mbps (300Mbps on 2.4GHz band and 867Mbps on 5 GHz band) throughput in addition to the 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for your wired devices.
The router will cover your modest home comfortably because of the two antennas and Beamforming technology. You can always add a range extender in case you want to cover a larger area.
The router is the best selling router by Medialink. Medialink AC1200 can support up to 20 simultaneous connections/ devices. It is also known for its easy setup.
What Technology Reviewer likes about Medialink AC1200 router
- Beamforming technology for wide WiFi coverage
- The price is manageable by most families
- The slick router gives you full control to the point of turning off the status light
- It gives you protection for your information through a built-in firewall
- Medialink AC1200 router is easy and straightforward to set up
- The company offers USA-based customer support thus there is no language barrier
What Technology reviewer did not like
- It does not allow advanced configuration
- Some users have reported reliability and consistency issues
- It does not have the fast USB 3.0 port
This highly recommended Mesh router features on this list for its great price, range, and Wi-Fi speeds. Therefore, it is the best mesh router for under 100 USD for your home or office.
The 2 points of the Mesh router helps to cover up to 3,000 square feet supported by its Beamforming technology. You can also extend the range using another point which will add 1,500 square feet. This eliminates all the dead zones in your home.
The router gives you Wi-Fi speeds of up to 1200Mbps throughput thus ensuring you can do your online activities without any lags. This is achieved by the dual-band technology (300Mbps on the 2.4GHz and 900Mbps on the 5GHz bands). It also has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for your wired devices.
Using patented Touchlink Technology, it is very easy to connect a device to the WiFi. This technology enables the connection of any device to the WiFi by just touching the top of the router without a password.
Wavlink Halo Base 2 also features a very easy setup using the Wavlink App. The app also gives you full control over the WiFi connections in your house. This helps to ensure kids are able to prioritize their daily activities.
Finally, the device features advanced security and firmware updates to ensure your data is secure and your devices protected.
What makes Wavlink Halo Base 2 the best mesh router under 100$
- The device can give you fast internet speeds for a range of up to 3,000 square feet
- The mesh router has 4 Ethernet ports for your wired devices
- The beamforming technology ensures a fast Wi-Fi connection in your home
- To connect devices to the router is easy by just touching the top of the router to set up guest WiFi
- The Wavlink app gives you full control over the connection
What Technology Reviewer did not like about Wavlink Halo Base 2
- A few users have reported reliability and consistency issues
- The technology support for the router is not the best
Which router specifications should I consider when buying the best router for under 100 USD?
Getting a budget router may not be a walk in the park. This is because you are trying to get a quality, high-performance router on a small budget. However, you can consider the following features as you get your router for under 100$.
You can not easily determine the range of the WiFi coverage for your home but the number and strength of antennas have something to play in it. Depending on the concrete walls and other obstacles in your house choose a router with powerful and where possible a number of antennas.
This is different from the best Mesh router systems. This is because these devices have powerful in-built antennas that broadcast in all directions.
It is better to choose a router with good Wi-Fi and Ethernet speeds for your home to ensure you get a great connection. The speed is determined by the wireless standard, the number of bands/ frequency channels, the hardware used to manufacture the router among other specifications.
However as you are checking the router speed, compare the speed with your internet subscription from your ISP. Do not buy a router with speeds way above your subscription not unless you are planning to upgrade the plan soon.
Good internet speeds ensure that you can stream your 4K video, play an HD game, connect several devices, and browse your preferred sites with minimal lags.
3. Frequency channels/ bands
Currently, there are two main standards 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The routers available in the market have one of the following bands:
- 2.4GHz band alone
- Dual-band router (2.4GHz and 5GHz bands)
- Tri-band router (2.4GHz and two 5GHz bands)
2.4GHz has a longer range but gives you slower speeds while the 5GHz band has a shorter range and higher Wi-Fi speeds. This means you can get a higher bandwidth on 5GHz.
Therefore, for your best router for under 100 USD, the bare minimum should be a dual-band router to ensure you get the benefits of the two bands.
Data security and the safety of the children when online is one of the main considerations you should have when choosing a router for under 100$. Some routers have better firmware and get regular updates to protect your information from malware and hackers.
For great devices, parental control is paramount to regulate what and when the children can access the internet.
5. Wireless standard
There are several wireless standards that are used by routers today. They include:
|Wireless (IEEE) standard||Year ratified||Frequency||Maximum data rate|
|802.11ax||2019||2.4GHz & 5GHz||10-12Gbps|
|802.11ac||2014||2.4GHz & 5GHz||1.3Gbps|
|802.11n||2009||2.4GHz and 5GHz||600Mbps|
Most of the current routers are able to support devices working on all the previous standards otherwise referred to as backward compatible. Most wireless devices are operating and 802.11ac but with the development of 802.11ax future devices will be operating on these standards.
For your best router for under 100 USD, consider getting an ac or ax router. These routers have great Wi-Fi speeds for your home. They also have excellent compatibility with all the home devices.
6. Router Ethernet ports
The number and internet speed of Ethernet ports is also an important feature in routers. The Ethernet ports help to connect the wired devices while also ensuring that you use the most bandwidth in your connections.
Most of the top routers under 100 Dollars have 1 one to 8 Ethernet ports. The speed also varies from device to device with several current routers having Gigabit ports.
The routers above were explored among a thousand more to come up with the list of best routers under 100 US dollars. These devices will give you an excellent connection for your gaming, streaming, and connecting other devices.
These routers will give you quality Wi-Fi connections but you can select which router suits your needs. What this therefore means is that you can get the best value for money when you buy the “best router for under 100 US dollars”.