Each one wants fast and reliable internet. Slow internet has been shown to be a source of anxiety for many a person. With this in mind, it is good to explore the reliable and fast internet modems for Spectrum internet. The best cable modem router combo for Spectrum will give you the performance that your home demands.
There is one unheralded device for internet connection. That is either a modem or a router. These devices help to connect the internet to your house or office. The modems can be provided by the internet provider or you can get a personal modem or router.
Spectrum is one of the best and largest internet service providers in the country. It is a subsidiary of Charter communications. The internet service provider offers speed ranging from 60Mbps to 1000Mbps depending on the location, subscription, and modem/ router.
The Company also provides Spectrum cable TV and spectrum phone in addition to the internet. These can be bought as a package in addition to the internet.
As you get spectrum internet, it is good to consider which gives you the best deal: Spectrum modem vs personal modem. For those choosing a personal modem, what routers are compatible with spectrum internet?
A quick rundown on the best cable modem router combo for spectrum
Best modem for spectrum 60Mbps tier: Arris/ Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 Cable Modem
Best modem for spectrum 100Mbps tier: Arris SURFboard SBG6700AC Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi AC1600 Router
The Best modem for spectrum 300Mbps tier: Motorola MB7420 Cable Modem
Best modem for spectrum 400 Mbps tier: Asus CM-32_AC2600 Combo Modem
Best modem for spectrum 1G tier: Netgear Nighthawk C7800 Combo Modem
Factors to consider when choosing a modem or router to buy
There are several modems/ routers that are compatible with Spectrum internet. The devices selected depend on the following:
- Compatibility with the internet service provider (ISP): There are service providers that give specifications of the modems or routers that are compatible with their services. It is always good to consider the ISP directions before buying a modem/ router.
- Internet speeds that are provided: There are different routers that can work to give different internet speeds. There are some routers that give you the best speeds as compared with others. It is wise to check the internet speeds provided before getting a router or modem.
- Range/ area covered with the internet: As you are buying a modem/ router, it is always recommended that you find out the area that you want to provide the internet for. There are several routers/ combo modems that provide Wi-Fi to small ranges as compared to others.
- The number of users for the internet: Modems only support one device on the internet. In most cases, the device is the router. Routers support a given maximum number of users depending on the type and specifications. If you want a device that can support a number of users/ devices then you need to check the product specifications before buying.
- Ethernet ports available: In some homes or offices, there are devices that are not Wi-Fi enabled and thus require Ethernet. Different routers have different number and speed of their Ethernet ports (WAN and LAN).
- Compatibility with smart devices at home: With the technology advances these days, almost every function in the house is being automated. We have smart doors, smart TVs, lights, sprinklers, phones, and Alexa among others. All these devices are compatible with some routers and not others.
- Security and parental control: There are several modems or routers in the market today. One of the features that should feature at the back of your mind is the security of your information and that of your children.
- Whether you want a mesh router system or not. A router mesh covers the whole house leaving no dead spots in the house. There are several mesh systems in the market today.
What type of modem does Spectrum use?
There are several types of modems that Spectrum uses. The requirements for the third party modem for use in the Spectrum network are very simple.
Spectrum offers Cable Internet. The cable protocol used to deliver the internet from an internet service provider through a coaxial cable is called ‘Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification’ (DOCSIS). This simply means that by connecting to the cable, your modem will be able to provide broadband internet access.
All the Charter Spectrum clients can use either DOCSIS 3.0 or DOCSIS 3.1 modems. The difference in version numbers 3.0 and 3.1 is the speed and number of simultaneous channels. Of course, with an increase in speed in channels and speed, there must be an increase in the price of the modem.
The number of channels (downstream and upstream) correlates to the amount of data that you can upload or download at the same time. It is indicated as 8X4 to 32X 8. Almost all modems provide more downstream channels than upstream channels. The higher the number of downstream channels, the better for your internet speeds.
To maximize your speeds you need to buy a modem with the following downstream channels:
- For a subscription plan of up to 100Mbps choose a modem with 8 downstream channels
- For plans of up to 300Mbps ensure that you get a modem with 16 downstream channels
- For plans above 300Mbps, buy a modem with 32 downstream channels
For Spectrum 1G, DOCSIS 3.1 will offer the best internet connection. However, since the average internet speeds in most American homes are 66Mbps, DOCSIS 3.0 can work for most neighborhood devices.
What routers are compatible with the Spectrum internet?
There are several modems/ routers that are compatible with the spectrum internet. The devices will be different depending on the speed of the internet tier that you subscribe to.
On what routers does spectrum use, these devices come from the following brands but with different specifications:
Arris: Has different devices for all internet speeds except the high-speed spectrum internet tiers up to 1G. There are several excellent Arris routers to choose from the Arris list depending on the speed.
Asus: These devices are recommended for speeds of up to 400Mbps and 300 Mbps on Spectrum. For lower and higher speeds, Spectrum does not recommend Asus routers.
SMC networks: There is only one Device that is Spectrum recommended from SMC networks. The device works well for internet plans of up to 300Mbps. The device is SMC Networks D3CM1604.
Netgear: This brand works well for slow and fast Spectrum internets tiers. It is one of the few brands recommended for Spectrum internet of up to 1G tier and also is among the brands recommended for slower internet speeds. You can check the best Netgear routers for your home here.
TP-Link: There are several TP-Link devices recommended for Spectrum internet. However, there is no device recommended for Spectrum internet speeds of up to 1G.
Zoom: This brand has several devices recommended for several tiers of Spectrum internet excluding the slowest and the fastest Spectrum internet tiers.
Motorola: There are several of Motorola routers/ modems that are Spectrum recommended the middle tier internet speeds.
Linksys: Linksys modems/ routers are only recommended for up to 400Mbps Spectrum internet tier. The two recommended devices are Linksys CG7500 and Linksys CM3016.
Zyxel: The Zyxel CDA30360 is recommended for an internet tier of up to 100Mbps.
Minimally qualified modems for Spectrum internet
There are other minimally qualified modems that can be used on the Spectrum internet services. These devices, however, may not deliver the internet on the internet speeds subscribed for. All of these devices, however, come from the brands listed above.
In our homes or offices today, there are several smart devices that are available. These devices can be connected to Wi-Fi to ensure that you can control or monitor them online. Therefore, as you are buying a modem, it is great to consider buying a router in addition to the modem. For Spectrum internet an AC router is preferable.
You can also get a Modem/router combo unit. This device functions as both a modem and an internet router at the same time. The combo unit may not be as effective as individual units but can be used to minimize the costs involved in buying the two units.
What are our best modems for Spectrum 100Mbps, 300Mbps, 400 Mbps and 1G internet?
|Internet subscription package of up to:||Best modem||Shop now|
|Best modem for spectrum 60Mbps tier||Arris/ Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 Cable Modem||BUY NOW|
|Best cable modem router combo for spectrum for 100Mbps tier||Arris SURFboard SBG6700AC Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi AC1600 Router||BUY NOW|
|Best modem for spectrum 300Mbps tier||Motorola MB7420 Cable Modem||BUY NOW|
|Best modem for spectrum 400 Mbps tier||Asus CM-32_AC2600 Combo Modem||BUY NOW|
|Best cable modem router combo for spectrum 1G tier||Netgear Nighthawk C7800 Combo Modem||BUY NOW|
Best cable modem router combo for Spectrum Reviews
Motorola MB7420 Cable Modem (Best modem for spectrum 300Mbps tier)
Motorola is currently owned by Arris. Therefore you will see devices listed with both names if they were previously listed as Motorola products. There are some devices that still use the Motorola brand name.
Motorola MB7420 is an excellent modem that is fairly priced for a device of its performance. It easily outperformed most of the Spectrum recommended devices in download and upload speeds.
Some of its strengths that make it stand out are the following:
- It offers a full-band capture digital tuner: this delivers cable tuner density and performance for the operators to change the current cable systems to an internet protocol-based video platform. Thus it can support a number of simultaneous channels.
- Comes with an upgraded power handling: This helps to protect the device from power fluctuations which in many cases would damage the modem.
- Motorola MB7420 has improved power sinks.
The Motorola MB7420 is a DOCSIS 3.0, therefore it offers download speeds of up to 686Mbps and upload speeds of up to 150Mbps. This is more than the average speed of the internet in the neighborhoods. Since it has a full band capture digital tuner, the devices assure faster and reliable internet than in most other modems.
This device has a single Ethernet port for easy setup. The setup can be guided by a specialist based in the USA. However, you can also follow the quick start guide for the setup.
The device comes in a compact design and is presented in white and black colors. This makes the device easy to blend with your house while also fitting in small shelf spaces.
- It has 16X4 bonded channels for fast upload and download speeds
- The device is compatible with IPv6 (the recent version of internet protocol, IP)
- It comes with a 2-year warranty plus surge and lightning protectors.
- It is also compatible with other cable providers in case you will decide to change the ISP.
- It has no in-built wireless router
- Motorola MB7420 Cable Modem does not have a phone jack or telephone adapter
- It also has a tricky set up than some of the other modems.
- It can become warm as it is being used
ASUS CM-32 AC2600 Combo Modem (Best modem for spectrum 400 Mbps tier)
This device gives you a combination of both Wi-Fi and Ethernet internet, thus a router and modem in one device. This is done by combining a DOCSIS 3.0 32X8 cable modem with a WiFi AC2600 router. The combination gives you full bandwidth and coverage to give you internet devoid of monthly rental fees and multiple modem and router devices.
Due to the 32X8 channels bonding, the device can support any cable internet service of up to 1.3Gbps. However, for Spectrum internet, the device is recommended for speeds of up to 400Mbps. It has 4 Wi-Fi antennas that enable it to transmit and receive data for a long-range and with sensitivity.
Asus CM-32 AC2600 Combo Modem processor is powered by Intel, which ensures that you get a reliable modem-router combination. Intel is one of the largest computer hardware manufacturers: the world’s largest semiconductor chip manufacturer and the inventor of microprocessors series X86.
The device combines 4 gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 USB ports to ensure connection to several devices at home. This is in addition to the Wi-Fi provision which is made better by having fine-tuned power, MU-MIMO, and AiRadar beamforming.
Setup for Asus CM-32 AC2600 Combo Modem is just a breeze. This is because the device comes with a preconfigured with an SSID (unique network name) and password for the Wi-Fi. This makes it easy to just plug, follow a few steps, and play.
- The Asus CM-32 AC2600 is a combination of a modem and a router. This way it reduces the number of devices plugged into your power strip. It provides fast internet through the Ethernet ports and the WiFi.
- This device is easy to setup. It comes with a pre-configured SSID and a password for the WiFi.
- It contains 32X8 channels for fast download and upload speeds. This ensures that you can also get fast internet at both 2.4GHZ and 5GHz.
- It is enabled to work on IPv6 and all the other past IPs.
- This device works well with all the other internet service providers
- You cannot change the device default settings easily by yourself. This gives you a hard time when you want to update the Firmware. Due to this, the device may be infected by bugs.
- The device also makes it compulsory to make a reset often (once every two weeks). With the era of smart devices, this may disappoint you.
- There is no live chat support for the device from ASUS. Therefore the company only provides email replies which sometimes takes time.
Arris Surfboard SBG6700AC Cable modem (Best modem for Spectrum 100Mbps)
Arris Surfboard SBG6700 is one of the best modems in the market today. The device is a compact one and is a router and modem in one. These functions are carried out by the DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, a dual-band concurrent 802.11ac Wi-Fi access point, and a 2-Port Gigabit Ethernet Router.
The DOCSIS technology helps to define how data is transmitted on your cable at high speed. The technology specifications by the manufacturers help in data channeling to ensure fast speeds. The DOCSIS 3.0 channel bonding in the Arris Surfboard SBG6700AC packs 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels.
This device using the DOCSIS 3.0 technology is able to deliver speeds of up to 343Mbps for downloads and 131Mbps for uploads. However, Spectrum recommends this device for an internet package that is up to 100Mbps.
The Wi-Fi speeds as per the 802.11ac specifications helps the device to provide Wi-Fi speeds of up to 1Gbps. These speeds make the device great for online video gaming, 4k video streaming, and the use of smart devices in your home among other functions.
This helps you to save on a modem and router combination. The compact device helps to rhyme with the room while also taking a small space and power ports.
This device comes with Beamforming technology. The technology gives you maximum Wi-Fi coverage with no dead spots.
- The Surfboard is easy to set up and use. This is because it has a plug and play installation procedures.
- It comes with both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity unlike most of the modems recommended by Spectrum.
- This gadget also supports the IPv6 standard which makes it easy to connect with any internet protocols and other internet service providers.
- It has several technologies that ensure that you get fast internet speeds and no dead spots. These technologies include beamforming, 802.11Ac technology, and dual-band technology among others.
- The device is compatible with all the major operating systems including Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Unix.
- Motorola/ Arris SBG6700AC comes with a 2-year warranty and other security features.
- The device does not have a phone jack; thus, you cannot connect your phone to the Arris SBG6700ac. However, you can use a VOIP device like the Ooma Telo to make calls with the device.
- The device may occasionally reduce the internet speeds during use where you need to contact the customer service. Some persons complain that customer service is not that receptive.
When looking for performance and speed, then this is your modem router combo. Spectrum has approved this gadget 1G internet tier.
The device can support Wi-Fi speeds of up to 2,000Mbps. These exceptional Wi-Fi speeds mean that this device can support all your online activities without any lags.
Furthermore, Netgear Nighthawk C7800 Combo Modem can give you high Wi-Fi speeds for a range of up to 3,000 square feet. For your home, therefore, this is the only device you need for your Wi-Fi needs. The range means that for your home, you don’t require a Wi-Fi Extender.
What makes this modem router combo a must buy is its compatibility with the other internet service providers. It is also one of the best modem router combos for Comcast Xfinity internet.
What Technology Reviewer likes about Netgear Nighthawk C7800
- Netgear Nighthawk C7800 has a built-in DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. DOCSIS 3.1 gives you the latest technology for communication between your home and the ISP.
- With Wi-Fi speeds of up to 2,000Mbps, because it is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, this combo will ensure that you can do your online activities without lags.
- It is effortless to set up and manage.
- This device can support up to 45 devices with high-speed internet.
- You will save a lot in buying the Netgear Nighthawk C7800 rather than renting it
What we don’t like
- The modem router combo is a bit expensive
If you are on Spectrum 60Mbps tier then you need to get this modem. This modem gives you great download and upload speeds to make your home an internet powerhouse.
The router provides maximum download speeds of up to 172Mbps while also supporting upload speeds of up to 131Mbps.
These speeds and features are supported by the DOCSIS 3.0 modem on which you can connect your devices using the Ethernet cable.
It has 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports to connect your devices to the internet. One of the ports can be used to connect to a router while the other can connect to your home devices.
The modem has 4 download and 4 upload channels to achieve these fast internet speeds in your home.
This router is compatible with Spectrum internet and other major U.S. Cable providers. This even if you change the ISP you will still enjoy the services of this modem.
What we like
- The modem is compatible with most Cable providers
- It gives great connection speeds for the 60Mbps tier
- The modem has 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports to connect to your wired devices
- It helps to save you from hiring the modem from your ISP
What we don’t like
- The modem is not a combo as compared to others
- The number of channels is very limited thus can not handle the fastest bandwidth
Spectrum modem vs. personal modem
Even though Spectrum recommends that you get the modem from them at a fee, this in the long run is more expensive than buying your personal modem or router during setup. We recommend that you buy and own your own modem/ router as this reduces the costs and gives you more control.
Why you should buy your personal modem vs Spectrum modem
Buying a personal modem/ router at Spectrum installation time increases the initial outlay. However, this comes with the following benefits:
- You do not pay for the internet and the modem/ router monthly. You will only be paying for the internet. The initial outlay may be high for your liking but it’s worth it in the long-run. This is because with time the prohibitive cost of renting a spectrum modem will be higher than the initial outlay when buying your personal modem.
For example: If you pay Spectrum modem rental price of the standard $7 per month, it translates to $84 per month and $420 in 5 years. For far less than that amount, you can buy your personal modem whether new or used. The good thing is that personal modems are very easy to set up and manage.
- Buying a personal modem/ router gives you a choice to choose your preferred modem/ router. This way you can buy the device as recommended by reviews available online today. Getting Spectrum modem limits you on the choice. The preference of the modem/ router can follow the directions listed above.
- Getting your personal modem gives you a chance to choose the device that will give you the highest security and parental control. This ensures that you feel safe when your child or visitor uses your internet. You also feel safe with your information.
- Buying your own modem or router gives you the chance to upgrade or change the router whenever you want if the router ceases to be effective and reliable for you. As for Spectrum Modem, changing the modem is a process.
Advantages of Spectrum modem vs a personal modem
There are also reasons why you can choose a Spectrum modem vs a personal modem. These reasons include:
- Spectrum modem is sure to work on the Spectrum network. This is because the device is pretested to ensure that it is active and effective for the network. There are personal modems that are not compatible with the Spectrum services.
- The Spectrum modem/ router service is supported by Spectrum technicians whereas the personal modem will either be supported by the selling company or independent IT specialists.
- Spectrum replaces any outdated modems/ routers whereas if you bought a private modem you will not get any replacement in case it gets outdated.
There is a list of Spectrum approved modems that are available in the market today.
Type of Modem Used By Spectrum
There is a great importance of using an approved modem for specific services. Spectrum organization has its own approved modems. You will appreciate the fact that there are specific types of modem spectrum uses as follows.
Powerboost is an innovation that involves an inherent AC1900 3X3 gigabit switch. It is remotely located and has remote speeds and a wider range. You will love the presence of the systems administration bolters that make home management, media, and video management effective.
The link modem projects its signal for a longer range. It has AnyBeam, which enhances the performance of 2GHz and 5GHz. When combined, both Powerboost and AnyBeam deliver great outcomes.
The association of the two delivers high speeds and reliable connections for a longer range. Each customer, therefore, gets the right amount of internet. It employs the DOCSIS 1.1 modems, with 20MB downloading speeds and 10MB transferring speeds.
Although power boost seems to be slightly expensive, it has the highest speed. The superior administration makes the modems stand out among the rest. It most amazes by technologies such as beamforming that make the performance more enhanced.
Modem rental applies if you do not have the cash to buy your modem. You will have a monthly fee paid to the service provider. Most providers charge fees between $4 and $8, while the cost of buying ranges between $50 and $100.
The major advantage of renting a modem is that you have simple arrangements and technical support. You also have no charges for the modem. However, in the long run, the monthly payments become costly.
The chances of getting a low-quality modem may also be very high. Rental costs also keep changing and at times may be unbearable. However, for a start renting a modem is the best option.
Band caps are awesome types of modems, especially for groups. In this case, a specialist organization does the internet supply with an administration to reach the furthest end. The web supplier sets a transmission for an association where clients can download and upload content.
For the clients who use more internet, the supplier can force traffic to them. Through unlawful downloading and uploading, they end up getting the required amounts of internet. An adequate amount of the internet is therefore supplied.
Such associations of clients are very effective. The price is lower, and the use of the internet is to the maximum. Having such a type of modem provides a cheaper network. Regulation is, however, difficult.
For purchasers, the spectrum is known to be the quickest digital web access. It stands out among the other ISPs because of the fast speeds. It also has ratings for being the best performing in 2020.
Depending on the region you come from, you will enjoy the fastest and most reliable speeds and packages. Its advantage is that it has no data caps, no agreements, and excellent prices with high speeds. The variation with regions is what makes the type of modem slightly unfriendly.