At a time like this where everyone is working from home, and then exacerbated by the Coronavirus pandemic, having one of the best wireless routers for your home will go a long way in making your life easier.
Having a top-notch router will help you to watch that movie clearly online, play the game without interruptions or work on the cloud without pulling your hair off.
This unheralded device (Wi-Fi router) is the glue that makes your smart home stay together. It keeps everything moving even though most of us do not really put too much thought into it.
We need a router in every home if you want to use your internet on several devices especially at a range. Moreover, we need other internet connection devices such as modems and Wi-Fi extenders for the provision of the internet at home.
There are several excellent routers available depending on your specifications, some of the specifications most searched for include:
- The best router to give you great internet for several devices
- Supreme long-range router to buy in 2020
- The exceptional routers for automating your home
- The mesh system to buy in 2020
- Best and most reliable travel router
- The best modem router combo/ gateway
Brands Of the router or firmware
- DD-WRT recommended routers in 2020
- The Netgear router you should get in 2020
- The Asus routers to buy in 2020
- Premier tomato routers this year
Internet Service providers
- The best-recommended router for spectrum 100mbps and 400mbps
- The Verizon Fios recommended routers
- Excellent Wow! internet compatible routers
- Best budget router to buy for less than 100 US Dollars
- Finest budget router costing 150 Dollars or less
- Best router for less than $200
- The best budget router for less than $50
These are some of the things in addition to others we will explore on this site in addition to also reviewing other technology devices to ensure you get the best devices at the best prices for your need.
The best Wi-Fi routers for your home or office
|Description/ Features||Device/ Router||Specifications||Check it out|
|Best WiFi 6 router in 2020||TP-Link Archer AX6000||Dual-band,|
Speed: 6000 Mbps,
Range: 2,500 sq. ft,
Devices: Up to 50,
Ethernet ports: 8 Gigabit LAN Ports
WiFi 6 technology
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Best budget mesh system router||Google Wifi||Dual-band,|
Range: 1,500 sq. ft. per node,
Speed: 1200 Mbps,
Has Network assist technology
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Best mesh Wi-Fi router||Google Nest Wifi||Dual-band,|
WiFi speed: Up to 2200Mbps,
Range: 4400 Sq. Ft for 2 pack,
Devices: Up to 200
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Best budget router for homes with several devices||Netgear Nighthawk X4s R7800 Smart WiFi||Dual-band|
Speed: up to 2,600Mbps
Devices: up to 45 devices
Range: up to 2500 sq. ft.
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Best mesh value||Netgear Orbi dual-band RBK13||Dual-Band,|
Speed: Up to 1.2 Gbps,
Range: Up to 4,500 sq. ft.,
Devices: 20+ Devices,
1 Gigabit Ethernet port
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Best mesh performance||Netgear Orbi 6 AX6000||Tri-band Mesh technology|
Wi-Fi 6 technology
5000 sq. ft coverage
Ease of extension
100 devices supported
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Best router for large homes||Linksys AC5400 Tri-band Wifi Router||Tri-band,|
Speed: up to 5,400Mbps,
Range: up to 3000 Sq. ft,
Devices: Up to 25,
8 external antennas.
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Best router for gaming||D-Link Exo AC2600||Dual-band,|
Speed: up to 2,600Mbps,
Devices: Up to 15,
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
|Best Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router||Asus ZenWiFi AX||Tri-Band,|
Speed: Up to 6100Mbps,
Range: Up to 6000 Sq. ft,
Devices: Up to 40,
|CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON|
1. TP-Link Archer AX6000: Best WiFi 6 router in 2020
TP-link is one of the best manufacturers of Wi-Fi networking devices in the world. It meticulously made the TP-Link Archer AX6000 for the best performance in a blend with the best value. It is thus one of the best Wi-Fi routers for the home.
Since W-iFi 6 is the latest and fastest version of Wi-Fi, having a device that can connect easily to the network will go a long way in giving you faster speeds.
The good thing about Wi-Fi 6 is that it can connect to all devices but Wi-Fi 6 compatible devices perform at higher speeds as compared to older devices. Being backward compatible makes this router a top pick for your home or office.
For being an exceptional Wi-Fi 6 router, the device looks like the future of Wi-Fi devices. Buy it today and you are assured of a wireless router that will work for all future devices like phones, laptops, tablets, TVs, and other next-generation devices.
TP-Link Archer AX6000 performed exceptionally well on all the performance tests, has an excellent range and low latency. This means that the device can deliver the highest speed in transfers of all the routers available.
Moreover, TP-Link Archer AX6000 comes at an affordable price on Amazon. It will assure you of robust Wi-Fi 6 network speeds, reliability, and effectiveness. The price will continue to drop with the release of the new AX6600 routers this year.
It should be noted that it is very easy to use the device because it just requires a Bluetooth connection where you then use the tether app to set it up within a few minutes.
The specs: Why TP-Link Archer AX6000 is the best Wi-Fi 6 router
- The device offers a blazing speed of up to 5952Mbps where it gives you amazing speeds of 4804 Mbps (5 GHz) and 1148 Mbps (2.4 GHz). These are astonishing wireless speeds that are some of the highest in the market today. This makes it one of the best routers for streaming, gaming, and other internet intense online activities.
- TP-Link Archer AX6000 comes with a powerful processor: This is because it utilizes a 1.8 GHz Quad-Core CPU and 2 processors to ensure there is no latency for stable internet speeds and availability.
- This device offers an intelligent connection: The device is able to use band steering to move clients to the bands that are less congested. This ensures great internet speeds at all times.
- The device has an Airtime Fairness that optimizes the time usage.
- It also provides an ultra-connectivity: TP-Link Archer AX6000 comes with several ports for WAN, LAN, and USD connectivity. The ports are 8 * Gigabit LAN ports, 1*2.5Gbps WAN port6, and 2* USD 3.0 coming as either Type A or Type C.
- The TP-Link Archer AX6000 comes with a built-in security system. The system is able to provide parental controls, antimalware, and antivirus systems.
- This product comes with a 2-year warranty.
2. Google Wifi Router (Best budget router under 100)
This is the definition of the best future wireless router on a budget (mesh). Google WiFi is the best router going for less than 100 USD. The router is easy to set up and use. The wireless router gives you strong Wi-Fi coverage at fast speeds.
To set up the Google Wi-Fi router, you will require an IOS or Android mobile device that is connected to the internet and also have a Google account. Note that opening a Google account is free.
The device has no web-based interface and thus can only be controlled by a Google-based mobile application. This application is used to set up the device and manage any other changes you want to make with the device.
Unlike other devices (home routers), the device will require a constant connection with Google. Google claims that the device cannot be used to collect information (activity data). It only uses the hardware data and application to ensure connection.
The product always makes the software update to ensure it is safe from hackers.
Why should you get Google Wifi?
- Google Wifi is very easy to set up. As discussed up there, the device is set up using an android or IOS powered device such as a mobile phone or tablet. This will require you to open the free Google account for set up. After that, the android or IOS device is ready to set up the Google Wifi or control it.
- The product has a good performance when compared with other devices in the market. Because it has the Network Assist Technology, Google Wifi ensures that you always get the clearest channel and fastest band. This will always assure you of a fast and reliable internet connection.
- This innovative device is able to deliver Wi-Fi to an area up to 1500 square feet. A set up of 3 Google Wifi points covers up to 4500 square feet. This coverage can cover even the biggest homes.
- Google Wifi also has both WAN and LAN ports. This gives you the comfort of using different devices that work better with the WAN and LAN.
- The product comes with a 1-year warranty from Google who also promise their support during each time of the day.
- The device gives you control over Wi-Fi availability on your kids’ devices. This can be used to ensure children take dinner or sleep well without using devices. It also shows you all the devices that are connected to your network.
- Google Wifi comes at one of the lowest budgets for a wireless router. It sells at $99.00 at Amazon.
The only disadvantage of using the Google Wifi Router is that some of the devices will still be connecting to the ISP router or the initial router. This way if a hacker wants to hack your devices, they can go through the old router.
3. Google Nest Wifi Router (Best mesh wifi router)
This router is quite effective in offering a long-range and reliable Wi-Fi signal. It can provide internet for an area of up to 2200 square feet thus covering the whole house. Google Nest WiFi offers the best mesh WiFi system for reliable, stable, and fast internet.
Google Nest Wifi Router offers faster internet than Google Wifi router but it’s just as easy to set up and use. It also has easy-to-use app controls just like Google Wifi. In addition, it works with the older Google Wi-Fi units that you already have.
This Mesh router system is so stylish that you will not feel the urge to hide it because it comes in different colors to fit your house theme. The added advantage of this mesh device is that it has a Google Home Smart speaker built-in for the best voice assistants for your home.
Google Nest Wifi router provides an easy integration with almost all the smart home devices including the smart lock, the Google Nest Hub, Thermostats like Ecobee, smart bulbs like Philips Hue White Starter Kit, Chromecast, Orbit B-hyve to water your plants, Garage door openers like Chamberlain MyQ, WeMo mini, and Nest Cam IQ among others.
Why should you buy Google Nest Wifi Router?
- Each Google Nest Wifi Router provides Wi-Fi for a distance of up to 2200 square feet. This means it can cover a medium house and offer a fast and reliable internet connection.
- To increase coverage, you can easily add another Google Nest Wi-Fi points to give you the best mesh WiFi system. Each additional point is able to provide an extra 1600 square feet of internet coverage.
- It comes with Network Assist Technology which enables you to have an uninterrupted Wi-Fi signal throughout your house. The device sets you up with the clearest channel and fastest band available for faster Wi-Fi.
- The best mesh wifi system provided by Google Nest is easy to set up and control using the Google Home app. The app can also be used to limit the use of the internet by some devices so that children can have meals or sleeping without using devices.
- This elegant device comes with smart speakers with a Google assistant. With this, the device is compatible with several smart home devices for an excellent stay in your house.
- Google Nest Wifi router auto-updates to help you to stay safe from hackers, viruses, and malware. The device gives you peace of body and mind since with the Google technology updates you are assured of great updates for your information safety.
- The router also provides 2 Ethernet points per router to ensure you get connected to devices that have either slow Wi-Fi connections or have no Wi-Fi connectivity.
- The Google Nest Wifi Router is compatible with other existing Google Wifi systems meaning you can use the Nest to extend the Wi-FI coverage in your home.
One of the Google Nest wireless mesh network disadvantages is the time it takes to set up the device. Most people complain that it takes a lot of time to connect even though the process for setting the device up is very easy.
4. Netgear Nighthawk X4s R7800 Smart WiFi (Best budget router for multiple devices)
This product is one of the best routers when you want a router for multiple devices. It offers a great port selection and a Multi-User Multiple Input, Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) throughput. This system helps to improve data streaming where the router can send and receive data to multiple devices without sacrificing bandwidth.
Several Netgear Nighthawk X4 routers have different specifications but all can multitask data streaming at high internet speeds.
Several devices like the R7800 Netgear Nighthawk also support the 4 by 4 data streaming. This helps the router to deliver four data streams to each band. This enables the device to maximize throughput speeds.
The device comes with removable antennas. It has a 1.7GHz dual-core processor which therefore helps the device to deliver throughput speed of up to 2.53Gbps theoretically. This means it can deliver speeds of up to 800Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and up to 1733Mbps on the 5GHz band.
The Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7800 has 10 small LED indicators that enable you to know the status of the Gigabit LAN ports (four), the WAN port, the 2.4 and 5 GHz radio-band activity, USB port, and eSATA activity.
The router offers an easy setup and configuration procedures like most routers. The device uses the Netgear Genie management console to walk you through the setup and configuration process.
Why should you buy Netgear Nighthawk X4 Router?
- The product offers a good port selection. This helps to connect many devices at fast speeds.
- It offers comprehensive management settings. This is offered through the user-friendly Netgear Genie management console to enable the use of the device at the preferred settings.
- Through the Multi-User Multiple Input, Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) throughput enables you to use several devices with fast internet speeds. The device can be used by up to 45 devices including smart home devices.
- It offers fast internet speeds at both 2.4 and 5GHz radio-bands helping you to use the device for fast downloads, uploads, gaming, streaming videos, and file transfer.
- It offers long-range Wi-Fi performance where it can be comfortable to be used at a distance of 2500 square feet.
- The processor used in the Netgear Nighthawk X4 router is an advanced 1.7GHz dual-core one. This ensures fast processing of input and output.
- The device also has advanced technology in 4 amplified antennas, MU-MIMO, Beamforming, Dynamic QoS, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and others.
- The device has a USB port to enable connection to storage drives and printers.
- It also has smart parental controls for the management of devices connected to the Wi-Fi and also filters the websites that each device can access.
- It is also safe and secure to use with the use of wireless security protocols in addition to other security features.
5. Netgear Orbi Dual-band Wi-Fi Mesh RBK13 (Best Mesh Value)
The Netgear Orbi Dual-band RBK13 is an excellent router for mesh Wi-Fi. It comes at an excellent value for a mesh system and offers you the chance to cover your whole home or office with Wi-Fi at excellent value. The device provides speeds of up to 1.2Gbps for the AC1200 device.
The mesh system for this device consists of dual-band WiFi mesh and 2 satellites. This will enable the device to cover up to 4,500 square feet of space. This thus helps you to walk from area to area in your office or home without internet interruption and by using a single network name.
Netgear Orbi RBK13 Mesh can connect to all internet providers. This applies to internet providers using a cable, satellite, fiber, digital subscriber line, and others.
It also comes with 1Gigabit Ethernet ports to plug in devices that are either do not have Wi-Fi connectivity or that have slow Wi-Fi connections. These devices may include computers, game consoles, and other wired devices.
Because of the fast speeds, the router can be used in gaming, streaming HD video, and browsing the internet at crazy speeds. This will ensure that you do not get buffering as you stream your favorite match or program.
As with other Netgear devices, Netgear Orbi RBK13 offers advanced security from malware, viruses, and hacking among others. The security is offered by Armor advanced threat protection. This ensures that your information is secure and private from any potential loss.
Reasons why you should get Netgear Orbi RBK13
- The biggest selling point for this mesh is the price for the coverage and speeds. With a price of $184 for 2 satellites and dual-band WiFi mesh, the device is excellent both in value and speeds.
- This good router (mesh system) offers internet coverage for a space of 4,500 square feet. The router can be a long-range wireless router for 1000 feet with the addition of more satellites.
- The device also connects to the internet as it is provided by all internet providers. This means that the device can connect to the internet through a cable, satellite, fiber, and DSL among others.
- This device offers super-fast Wi-Fi speeds of up to 1.2Gbps. This thus can enable you to conduct your business online with minimal buffering.
- The product also comes with parental control to enable you to limit what the children or other members sharing the Wi-Fi are watching.
- Netgear Orbi RBK13 is easy to set up, customize, and monitor the speeds. This can be done using the Orbi app which enables control of your device from anywhere and at any time.
6. Netgear Orbi 6 tri-band AX6000 RBK852(Best mesh performance)
This device costs a whole lot more than all the other two-piece devices we have discussed here but for a reason. It is more powerful as compared to most of the other routers discussed in this article.
It has a 5GHz band serving that acts as a backhaul for transmission within the system linking the router and its satellites. The dedicated band, therefore, frees the other two bands or the tri-band backhaul for maximizing the internet speeds in your area.
Netgear Orbi 6 triband AX6000 utilizes the Wi-Fi 6 which comes with assured speeds, reliability, and effectiveness. It managed to ace all the performance tests. The device offers near-perfect internet speeds for any connection plan where it can power up to 6Gbps of internet service.
Setup and management
The device uses the simple Orbi app system for setup and network control. The app can be used to regulate internet usage from anywhere in the world at any given time.
This product has the capability of supporting the use of Alexa and Google Assistant. The two give you parental control over the devices being used in your house. This makes it easy to regulate, using a voice command, the time children are using the internet.
Compatibility and range
It should be noted that Nightgear Orbi 6 is compatible with existing and new Wifi devices and not only the WiFi 6 devices. This thus means that the product will make the internet available to all computers, phones, tablets, gaming consoles, Television Sets, and smart home devices.
Netgear Orbi 6 also provides wide coverage of the WiFi network. The device can cover up to 5,000 square feet of space in your home or office.
Its Mesh technology can be extended by up to 2,500 square feet by adding satellite. Therefore, this mesh router is the best long-range wireless router for 1000 feet.
This device will work with any internet service provider. This, therefore, will enable you to use cable, Fiber, satellite, or other sources of the internet in your area with top speeds.
- The wireless mesh network disadvantage with this device is the price which may be on the higher side for an average person.
- In addition to not noticing the difference from other routers in speeds if your internet plan is not more than 500Mbps.
What are the reasons why you should buy Netgear Orbi 6?
- This device offers one of the highest internet speeds and reliability of all the devices explored. It offers a speed of up to 6Gbps which is more than in most of the other devices in the market today. The product also offers 12 simultaneous WiFi6 streams.
- Netgear Orbi 6 can offer internet to a space of up to 5,000 square feet. This way the mesh can cover most of the homes or the offices. It eliminates dead zones in your home or office.
- It has a dedicated backhaul connection between the router and the satellites. This frees the other two bands to give you very fast internet speeds.
- It comes with a faster processor than most of the other devices which also works to increase the top speeds.
- The Netgear Orbi 6 is easy to set up and manage. This is achieved by the use of the Orbi app which helps you to set up within minutes.
- The device can work with all internet service providers.
7. Linksys AC5400 Tri-band Wifi Router (Best router for wide coverage)
This device is the best router for long-range internet coverage. The Linksys AC5400 Tri-band WiFi Router gives you Wi-Fi coverage for up to 3,000 square feet. This way a router and not a mesh device can cover almost the whole house with the internet. It is, therefore, the best long-range wireless router for over 1000 feet.
Because the device is based on tri-band technology, it delivers some of the fastest internet speeds of all the modems available. The speeds are up to 2.2Gbps split as follows 400Mbps on 5GHz, 867 Mbps on 5GHz plus 867Mbps on the 2.4GHz bands.
This router works well with all existing modems. This is achieved by using the easy setup procedure available on the Linksys app.
Due to the availability of Multi-User Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MU-MIMO) technology, the Linksys AC5400 can provide fast internet to multiple devices. The internet speeds are the same across several devices where it can support more than 15 wireless devices.
Linksys AC5400 Router also comes with USB and Ethernet ports to give connection to all types of devices. The Gigabit Ethernet ports enable the device to connect other devices to the internet at speeds that are ten times faster than the standard Ethernet ports. The USB port helps connect the router to storage devices, printers, and other devices requiring USB connectivity.
Reasons to buy Linksys Tri-band AC5400 Router
- The Linksys Tri-band AC5400 Router gives you up to 3,000 square feet of Wi-Fi connection. This is one of the longest coverage you will get from a non-mesh router. This will cover your home comfortably to ensure you are always connected to the internet.
- The device assures you of fast internet where you get the Tri-band 5.3Gbps. This ensures that you can stream your movies or use the games console without any lag times.
- This router can support approximately 25 devices. With the MU-MIMO technology, all the devices get almost the same internet speeds which are very fast.
- It has 8 Ethernet ports to ensure that all the other devices that cannot be connected by Wi-Fi can be connected through the WAN and LAN ports. It is, therefore, one of the excellent wired routers for gigabit internet in your home for your printers, older PCs, and other devices.
- Linksys Tri-band AC5400 Router is easy to setup using the Linksys app. The procedure for installation is so easy on the app.
8. D-Link Exo AC2600 Router (Best router for gaming)
The D-Link Exo AC2600 Router is the best router for gaming at your home. It was designed with gaming in mind. It also provides your home with high-speed Wi-Fi for video streaming and other online functions too. Because the device comes with a dual-core processor (DIR-882), the device can perform several functions without a lag.
It has packed several innovations like MU-MIMO, intelligent QoS, and band steering. These innovations help to keep the Wi-Fi speeds fast for all the devices that are connected in addition to helping you to configure your network easily to your liking.
The technologies in addition to the DIR-882 dual-processor help to move the devices to the fastest bands within your Wi-Fi networks. This helps to move devices to less crowded bands thus keeping the internet fast for all devices.
To accommodate games that require Ethernet ports the D-Link Exo AC2600 has 5 ports. 4 Gigabit LAN ports and 1 Gigabit port are available in the device.
To ensure the children do not access the forbidden sites as they go ahead with their browsing, gaming, or streaming, the device has simple ways to apply filters to the sites accessed. This will enable parental control during their activities.
One of the main complaints about the device is that some devices keep on reverting to the factory default settings and the range. Since I recommend the device for gaming, the issue about range may not be a major problem. However, reverting to factory default settings may keep on disconnecting some wireless devices.
Why you should buy D-Link Exo AC2600 router for gaming
- D-Link Exo AC2600 router is able to connect several gaming consoles without reducing the speed of Wi-Fi for the devices. This makes it easy for everyone in the house to enjoy using their device with minimal lags.
- The router can be used by other devices like TVs, fire sticks, phones, computers while someone else is using gaming devices. This use does not compromise the Wi-Fi speeds in any of the devices.
- The device offers a user-friendly management interface to ensure you can set it up easily. This makes it easy to set up the device and manage it in the long-run.
- This router has fast Ethernet ports for connecting to devices that are not yet Wi-Fi enabled or have poor Wi-Fi reception.
- Since it has several advanced technologies for offering fast internet speed and reliability, this device is a must-have. These technologies include MU-MIMO data streaming, Beamforming and smart connect band steering.
- The price for this device (best router for gaming) is quite affordable as compared to other devices. Selling at $135 gives it an edge over other devices.
9. Asus ZenWiFI AX system (Best Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router)
If you want a Wi-Fi mesh based on the new innovative Wi-Fi 6 technology, then this is the masterpiece. It is one of the best routers for your home or office.
The device enables you to get the very best of what the internet has to offer. Moreover, the device gives you up to 5,500 square feet of fast Wi-Fi coverage.
The device comes with the following features:
- The Asus ZenWiFi AX system fully supports WiFi 6. This thus ensures that it provides fast internet speeds in your whole house to even manage 8k streaming comfortably. The product is shown to exhibit excellent performance at range.
- It also uses Tri-band technology which ensures that there is a dedicated wireless backhaul between the satellites and the router. This dedicated wireless backhaul leaves two bands that can be used to ensure fast internet speeds of up to 6600Mbps.
- The device gives you a stable mesh performance. A mesh performance helps in choosing the strongest Wi-Fi bands for your device in all the areas and thus no dead spots. This is accomplished by the use of MU-MIMO and OFDMA technologies.
- It has a Multigig WAN port on the router and the satellites. The WAN ports help you to connect with devices such as printers, personal computers, and other devices at very fast internet speeds.
- It is easy to set up and manage using the ASUS Router App. The setup involves a 3 step process that is very easy to follow; turning on the device, creating a network name and admin account, and then waiting for 3 minutes for the system to set up and voila you are done.
- Asus ZenWiFi AX System also has up-to-date protection powered by Trend Micro. The system is free for the whole lifetime of the device thus assuring you of privacy for all the connected devices. It also comes with AiProtection Pro, the system which comes with advanced parental controls for you to limit what programs, applications, and games that your children can play.
- Even though Asus ZenWiFi System is created with Wi-Fi 6 in mind, it works well with all the previous Wi-Fi standards.
- This product works well with all the smart-home devices and services. It includes smart doors, Alexa services, smartphones, tablets, and other smart devices.
- It has exceptional Wi-Fi 6 speeds
- It has a power-on button
- Connects multiple devices
- Has USB 3.0 for connecting storage devices
- It gives you an excellent range
- May need some restarts when it drops the Wi-Fi connection
Asus ZenWiFi System In a nutshell
Asus ZenWiFi System offers a cheaper option for high-speed mesh networks than the other best Mesh devices such as Netgear Orbi Tri-band for a two-piece mesh. However, it is not as fast as Netgear Orbi Tri-band or other 6 mesh routers such as Amplifi Alien or Arris Surfboard Max Pro.
The device covers more area than most mesh systems and thus offers great value for the device. The device offers stable internet in all the areas of the house thus eliminating dead spots in your house with over 90% WiFi speeds in the whole house.
The Asus app is an excellent addition to the Asus Zen WiFi system because it gives you the ability to prioritize traffic to a particular device. The Quality of Service (QoS) engine gives you this ability meaning that you can give priority to a device in your network that requires higher WiFi speeds.
The device also offers an easy to set up and manage control through the Asus app. This gives you a stronger degree of customization as compared to other mesh systems.
Factors to consider when getting the best Wi-Fi router for your home
When looking for the best Wi-Fi router for your home, there are some things you need to check for you to make an informed decision. These features ensure that your home is covered with high-speed internet.
Therefore, you need to check the following as you choose a good Wi-Fi router for your home:
When choosing a router for your home, you need to check the router that is compatible with the ISP internet plan that you have subscribed to or are planning to subscribe to in the future.
There are several routers described in this list that will support different internet speeds. Some are gigabit routers while others are not. As you make your decision on the speed, identify the activities that you want to use the internet for and select the best router for the function.
For example, gaming, 4K streaming, or live conferencing require fast speed, and therefore if these are the functions planned for your internet, you need to get a router fast enough for these functions.
Wi-Fi coverage is one of the most important considerations when buying a router. You should be able to do a proper analysis of the size of your home and the type of house to make a great choice.
There are some excellent routers in this list for houses with thick walls or exceptional apartment routers. You can also get a router that will fit your 2 story house or more. All these features ensure that your whole home is covered with high-speed internet.
The coverage is better in most mesh routers which also offer opportunities for extending the coverage. However, several traditional routers will offer wide coverage too.
Number of devices connected
Our current homes have several smart devices. We, therefore, require a good router for home automation. These routers will enable all your home devices to be connected to high-speed internet.
You should, therefore, get a router that will ensure all your devices get high-speed internet. The router may be a mesh router or a traditional router.
Price of the router
Our pockets determine lots of things in our lives. It should also determine the type of router that you choose for your home. What should be clear is that cheap routers may not give you the best internet connection. Furthermore, routers last for long.
It is therefore recommended that you should choose a router that will serve you for a long time even if it means spending a little bit more than your planned budget. This will ensure you get a router that will serve you well now and into the future.
ISP provider compatibility
Some routers are compatible with the ISP providers while others are not. This majorly depends on whether the connection is a DSL connection, fiber connection, satellite connection among other connection types.
Therefore, as you choose the router, kindly choose the router that is compatible with your internet service provider. The above reviewed best routers for home or office are compatible with most ISPs.
Modem vs Router: What is the difference between a modem and a router?
There are several modems and routers available in the market today. A modem only connects one device or a few devices to the internet mainly through a wide area network (WAN). On the other hand, the router is a device that can connect several devices through Ethernet ports or Wi-Fi.
Several modem/ router combos can do the function of both a modem and a router. These devices help to decode ISP signals and distribute them to your devices via Ethernet ports and Wi-Fi signals.
The following are the differences between a modem and a router:
|Can only connect one device/ very few to the internet||Can connect several devices to the internet|
|Uses a public IP address||Creates a local IP address for the devices|
|Can transmit through WAN only||Can transmit LAN signals via Wi-Fi signals and Ethernet ports|
|Connects directly to the ISP Coax cable and other ISP approved internet distribution methods||Connects to a modem for provision of the internet to the devices at home because it cannot decode ISP signals|
Reasons to get your own router rather than renting from your ISP
Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) often rent a router, modem, and other internet connection devices. This means that you pay a rental fee to the ISP every month together with the fee for the internet plan.
This cost is more than the cost of getting a router for your home in the long run. This is because good routers last for a long and, therefore, you will continue renting the devices for years.
There are several reasons why you should get your own router instead of renting one. They include:
Saving on rental fees
Renting a router for a year will in most cases cost you on average over 100 US Dollars in a year. We have excellent routers that cost less than $100 in the market today. This router will last for several years meaning renting one will mean you can afford a router every year.
If you need a high-performance router, you will pay more in rental fees meaning even then buying your own premium router will cost less in the long run.
Router’s Wi-Fi range
The routers provided by the ISP may not provide fast internet to cover your whole home. However, if you get your own router you have the choice to get a router that will give excellent coverage to your home.
We recommend, if you have a large home for you to explore our wide coverage router top picks. Most of these routers will work with every ISP in providing the best internet coverage for your home.
Number of devices connected
There are different choices on the excellent routers for connecting several devices. You will not get the choice of the best Wi-Fi routers for the number of devices in your home when you are renting a router.
We, therefore, recommend checking out the router provided by your ISP before subscribing and using the number of devices in your home as a basis for choice. In this analysis, it is great to also check the potential devices that may be in use in your home for the foreseeable future.
Security and privacy features
As you get a rental router, you need to check if it gives you and the users in your house security and privacy features. The best Wi-Fi routers for your home will come with excellent security features for your data and users. You want to pick a good router for your home that will ensure protection from malware, hackers, and viruses.
One of the easy ways to ensure security and privacy is getting a router with Guest Wi-Fi capability.
On privacy, sometimes you want to do your online activities without anyone knowing your location or monitoring your online profile. This is possible with the routers with VPN.
The high-performance VPN routers for business or home will ensure your privacy is given the utmost importance. You can also decide to get a NordVPN router if you are a bit specific or a router that is compatible with the VPN of your choice.
We are exploring the best Wi-Fi routers for a home. One of the most important features of a router for your home is parental control. The ISP-provided router may not have the parental controls that you prefer.
When you choose your own router, you can choose one of the excellent parental control routers. This will ensure that your children are safe online or also you can regulate when they are online.
Other technology advances
Several technological advances are associated with routers that are made now and often. You may want a good home Wi-Fi router with the current Wi-Fi standards, number of bands, number of channels, MU-MIMO, Beamforming, QoS among other features. These features may not be available in most rental routers.
Therefore, you can explore the best Wi-Fi routers for your home above and choose the router with the current technology that will give your home the best performance.
Wired vs Wireless routers
In our homes or offices, we may have many wired devices that require an exceptional wired router. These routers have several Ethernet ports where you can connect your devices through the Ethernet cables.
Most of the wireless home routers also have Ethernet ports that vary in number. However, the primary internet connection for these devices is through Wi-Fi.
So what are the differences and similarities of using wireless connections vs wired connections?
Advantages of wireless connections
- Cost of internet connection for your devices: Wireless connections do not require any additional investment like Ethernet cables in order to connect your devices. Laying off of Ethernet cables is quite expensive especially if they are many and covering a wide area.
- Wireless connections can move in any direction to any area of your home where there is a signal: When using a wireless connection, you can move with your devices from one room to the next or from one floor to the other without losing connection. For a wired device, you have to stay in a place where there is an Ethernet cable to connect your devices.
- It connects devices that do not have wired capabilities: Devices like mobile phones, some laptops, smart home devices like bulbs and door locks, among others can not be connected to the Ethernet cables and thus require Wi-Fi connections.
- Aesthetics: When laying on of the Ethernet cables in our homes or offices, the cables may look ugly or require some structural modification of the house. This is not the case for wireless connections since the device can be placed centrally and signals flow in all directions.
- The number of devices connected: With a good router, you can connect as many devices as per the manufacturer’s specifications seamlessly and simultaneously. To ensure a connection of more devices, you can check the excellent routers for connecting lots of devices. For wired devices, you can only connect a small number of devices and when planning to increase the number of devices connected, you have to invest in splitters and more Ethernet cables.
- Remote controls: You can easily control wireless devices using a mobile app when connected to the Wi-Fi or in some devices even when not connected to your home network. This helps to control network usage and also offers some form of parental controls. For wired routers, once you connect the cable then you are connected to the internet.
Advantages of wired devices
- There is no major signal degradation even at a sizeable range: The wired connections will give almost the same internet speeds when connected to the Ethernet cable at a sizeable distance as compared to when connected near the router. For Wi-Fi connections, there is a huge drop in internet speeds when you move a distance from the router.
- Stable and reliable internet connections: What you are promised in a wired connection in terms of internet speed is what you get. For wireless connections, the speeds are affected by walls, distances, interference by other devices, etc.
- No interference by other devices: When you live in an apartment, there may be several Wi-Fi devices that interfere with each other. Moreover, there are other wireless signal devices that can interfere with Wi-Fi connections such as microwaves, wireless speakers, walkie-talkies, baby monitors, garage door monitors among other devices. For wired connections, there is no interference from such devices.
- It is easy to minimize the misuse of the internet or illegal connections: For you to get connected to a wired router, you have to connect your device to an Ethernet cable. This is different from a wireless connection where signals flow in all directions sometimes moving several feet away from your house. Therefore, you can ensure all the users connected to the internet in your home or office are vetted when using the wired connection.
- It can connect devices without wireless connections: Some devices like printers, some computers, and other devices may not have wireless capabilities. Therefore, you can only connect them to the internet using an Ethernet cable.